Director of Public Policy
Latch is looking for an experienced Director of Public Policy to join our fast-growing team. This position will develop and advance smart home and smart access policy goals with state and local governments. This policy expert will help craft Latch’s policy priorities and will work directly with elected officials, policymakers, external advisors and key stakeholders at all levels of government. You will work closely with our leadership team, including product, operations, privacy, information security, and engineering groups. You will be a critical part of an exciting technology company that is changing the way we access the spaces most important to us.
Initially, the role can be based either in New York or our San Francisco Office; however, over the long-term the position is expected to be primarily located in our New York Headquarters.
Smart access isn’t about locking doors, it’s about opening up new possibilities. Latch is the world’s first fully integrated hardware and software system dedicated to bringing seamless access to every door in a modern building. We’re looking for the curious and the creative to join our team and help us continue to change the way we access our most valued spaces.
- Develop Latch’s legislative, regulatory, and political strategy
- Represent Latch in interactions with elected officials, government and agency officials and staff, including providing policy guidance in service of legislative and regulatory processes
- Track legislation relevant to Latch and the smart home space
- Work cross-functionally and with Latch senior management on developing public policy priorities that advance Latch’s operations and business interests, and those of the ecosystem in which we operate
- Work closely with Latch’s Operations, Legal, Security, Privacy, Compliance, and Communications teams on developing strategies
- Help manage a team of top-notch external policy consultants
- Develop and advocate for policies that support the growth of smart access
- 5-7+ years of political, legal and/or relevant business development experience
- Experience with a legislative body, executive branch/agency, housing authority, local/county/state Department of Housing, or housing NGOs a plus
- Law Degree preferred but not required
- Exceptional strategic and proactive problem-solving skills
- Excited to set goals and be held accountable for those goals
- Skilled at defining objectives, outlining execution plan, and proactively following-through on goals
- Strong judgment for what is important and what is not, with the ability to minimize “unknown unknowns” that can create material business risks
- Superlative positional empathy for all stakeholders including residents, property managers, advocacy groups, and policymakers
- Entrepreneurial in orientation and a self-starter who is both intrinsically motivated and a good teammate
- Natural connector and relationship builder
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal and presentation) - you know how to tell a good story and advocate your position
Founded in 2014, Latch is a venture-backed, high-growth organization that's on a mission to change the way people open, manage, and share their spaces. Today, 1 in 10 new developments in the U.S. depend on our full-building smart access solution to meet the needs of residents and property managers.
We are a team of just over 200 employees, all of whom are passionate self starters with unique backgrounds and unexpected stories. We offer unlimited time off, a competitive health package, and the opportunity to work in a creative, dynamic, and fast-paced office environment. We are located just a quick walk from both Hudson Yards and Penn Station in New York City.