Director of Real Estate and Workplace at Better
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $2 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better.com is currently hiring for a Director of Workplace and Real Estate. This person will be responsible for directing a team to develop and execute on our business strategy.
The Director of Real Estate and Workplace will be responsible for leading our real estate portfolio across the US and globally. You will build and grow a team that enables Better.com’s rapid growth and expansion, including: sourcing and selection of office space to support our capacity and employee experience goals. You will demonstrate your expertise in portfolio management including site selection, design, construction, budgeting, furnishing, office operations, vendor management and maintenance. We expect this role to have a 25% travel component.Responsibilities will include:
- Developing an innovative approach to real estate strategy for multiple time horizons, improving Better’s ability to make timely decisions in advance of space needs; ensure the approach and process are well understood by partners
- Oversee Better’s portfolio, developing metrics and using benchmarks to improve opportunities, identify trends & understand risks
- Help build and manage the RE team, that includes: Real Estate Acquisition, Design, Facilities and Hospitality
- Lead all aspects of lease management including management of broker relationships, negotiation of terms & renewals and obtain appropriate sign offs
- Lead the process for location/site selection optimizing for commercial terms, talent availability, infrastructure and design
- Collaborate cross-functionally to inform site selection decisions
- Develop a global rolling capital plan and forecast for construction and design projects; establish common operating processes to guide consistency and repeatability for planning and budgeting
- Ensure viable plans and establish scope, schedule and budget in partnership with Design, Workplaces team and Better leadership
- Provide management visibility to project portfolio, status and risks through reporting and budget tracking
- Foster and build collaborative partnerships with the Workplaces team (Regional and Local)
- 8-10 years’ experience in corporate or high growth startup setting with direct global real estate experience and team management
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred, preferably in field related to facilities planning, design and construction or hospitality planning
- Expertise portfolio management: site selection, construction, budgeting, project and risk management.
- Comfort operating with high levels of ambiguity and adapting to rapidly changing situations
- Demonstrated ability to influence, establish and sustain relationships at all levels
- Knowledge of global standards and best practices
- Must have experience crafting and managing budgets and leading people and projects
- Ability to publicly represent the company with internal and external partners
- Substantial strategic planning and negotiation skills
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.