Director of Service Operations
Who we are
Cityblock Health is a new type of healthcare company, operating out of Brooklyn and backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs, along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to radically improve the health of urban communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we bring the capability to deliver care in the home and neighborhood with our field-based teams.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations and leading commercial partners, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. We deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services through a network of neighborhood hubs with deep community-based partnerships and world-class technology.
We partner with payers and at-risk providers, accepting capitated financial risk to care for their most vulnerable, high and rising risk members. Additionally, we invest in strategic partnerships with community-based and social services organizations, in some instances bringing them into the value equation through sub-capitation and performance-based compensation.
Over the next year we’ll grow quickly, including entering new markets, developing new partnerships, and expanding the size of our team. This role is a vital contributor to our success.
In this role, you’ll assume ownership for key operations and business functions that provide critical services to our members and markets across the nation. The scope of responsibility may include, and is not limited to, leading member engagement centers (inbound and outbound across call, email, and SMS/MMS), centralized billing functions, application management (e.g., telemedicine vendor), and other business operations. The ideal candidate has established her/himself as an operations generalist within a health plan and/or health care provider, brings direct experience overseeing several of the functions identified above, and has experience leading teams to build these operational functions from the ground up.
- Work cross-functionally to develop capabilities and functions that deliver a connected, coordinated, outstanding experience for Cityblock’s members and associates
- Build and lead the development of several key functions, which may include Cityblock’s:
- Centralized member engagement center, which will process inbound and outbound communications (e.g., general helpline, urgent calls, scheduling, referrals) across call, email, SMS/MMS, and letters in a manner that reinforces the Cityblock care model
- Centralized member billing center, which will process point-of-service cost sharing and member accounts receivable/payable (when benefit designs require it)
- Serve as the business owner for specific business applications that support member experience, which may include, but are not limited to, telemedicine and non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT) vendors
- Coordinate with Communications and Marketing teams to align our messaging and communications strategy across member touchpoints
- Bring a continuous improvement mindset that drives innovation to identify and implement incremental efficiencies over time
- Monitor and manage to key operating metrics
- Maintain high degree of competency in relevant regulatory standards that Cityblock must follow with respect to the operational scope of this role (e.g., HIPAA)
- Lead related and ad hoc operations projects
- Recruit, nurture and manage an operations team to support these functions
You’d be a good fit if you:
- Have 7+ years experience in a related role where you have established yourself as an operations generalist within a health plan and/or health care provider
- Bring direct experience overseeing several of the functions identified above and demonstrate an aptitude to lead other operations functions
- Have experience leading teams to build operational functions from the ground up
- Have experience identifying and managing to key operations metrics and budgets
- Enjoy doing whatever it takes to execute on tricky, complicated cross-functional projects
- Have a proven track record for working well across teams and with external partners
- Have a hands-on, process-oriented mindset and demonstrated ability to execute within a fast-moving work environment
Nice to have:
- Experience in a capitated, value-based medical group
- Experience in a high growth technology company
- Experience in operations management consulting
“Nice to have” really means “nice to have”. It’s completely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit for the team.
You should include these in your application
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile.
- A short (2-3 paragraph) cover letter
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.