Director of Service Operations
Who we are
Cityblock Health is a new type of healthcare company, operating out of Brooklyn and backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs, along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to radically improve the health of urban communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we bring the capability to deliver care in the home and neighborhood with our field-based teams.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations and leading commercial partners, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. We deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services through a network of neighborhood hubs with deep community-based partnerships and world-class technology.
We partner with payers and at-risk providers, accepting capitated financial risk to care for their most vulnerable, high and rising risk members. Additionally, we invest in strategic partnerships with community-based and social services organizations, in some instances bringing them into the value equation through sub-capitation and performance-based compensation.
We are growing quickly, entering new markets, developing new partnerships, and expanding the size of our team. This role is a vital contributor to our national success.
In this role, you’ll assume ownership for key operations and business functions that provide critical services to our members and markets across the nation. The primary scope of responsibility includes, and is not limited to, leading member contact centers (inbound and outbound across call, email, and SMS/MMS) and serving as the business owner for vendors that support it (e.g., CRM, telephony). In this role, you will build this function from scratch to enable Cityblock Health’s members with a industry-leading service and experience.
The ideal candidate has established her/himself as an operations leader within a complex customer service operations function with large front-line teams that must be trained to support complex, often emotional conversations with customers across varying backgrounds and geographies. While experience within a health care delivery and/or health insurance context is desirable, it is not a prerequisite as this is an opportunity for a rising star leader who has grown up in other industries to bring best-in-class subject matter expertise to build an outstanding service center for customers in a health care context. Additionally, deep experience leading, training and supporting front-line associates is highly valuable. As Cityblock Health continues to grow, there is a meaningful opportunity for the scope of this role to grow as well.
If you like hard problems, are seeking out entrepreneurial opportunities, and are an amazing teammate and leader, we want to hear from you!
- Work cross-functionally to develop capabilities and functions that deliver a connected, coordinated, outstanding experience for Cityblock’s members and associates
- Build and lead the development of Cityblock’s centralized member contact and engagement center, which will process inbound and outbound communications (e.g., general helpline, urgent calls, scheduling, referrals) across call, email, SMS/MMS, and letters in a manner that reinforces the Cityblock care model
- Serve as the business owner for specific business applications and vendors that support the member contact center
- Build and iterate the member contact center so that it best reinforces the Cityblock care model, which requires deep collaboration with Cityblock clinical and operations leaders to understand their needs and then establish touchpoints and integration points
- Coordinate with Communications and Marketing teams to align our messaging and communications strategy across member touchpoints
- Bring a continuous improvement mindset that drives innovation to identify and implement incremental efficiencies over time
- Recruit, nurture and manage a member service operations team to support these functions
- Monitor and manage to key operating metrics
- Maintain high degree of competency in relevant regulatory standards that Cityblock must follow with respect to the operational scope of this role (e.g., HIPAA)
- Lead related and ad hoc operations projects as needed
You’d be a good fit if you:
- Have 7+ years direct experience overseeing the functions identified above and an aptitude to potentially lead other core operations functions over time
- Have experience leading teams to build operations functions from the ground up
- Have experience identifying and managing to key operations metrics and budgets
- Enjoy doing whatever it takes to execute on tricky, complicated cross-functional projects
- Have a proven track record for working well across teams and with external partners
- Have a hands-on, process-oriented mindset and demonstrated ability to execute within a fast-moving work environment
Nice to have:
- Experience leading similar functions in a capitated, value-based medical group
- Experience leading similar functions in a high growth technology company
- Experience in operations management consulting, including direct experience standing up and/or turning around customer service centers
“Nice to have” really means “nice to have”. It’s completely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit for the team.
You should include these in your application:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile.
- A short (2-3 paragraph) cover letter
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.