Head of Business Operations at Luminary Labs
Luminary Labs seeks an operations leader to ensure that our boutique consultancy maintains a high standard of operational and financial integrity while delivering on its strategic goals. Reporting directly to the CEO, you will have full oversight of all back-office functions (Finance, HR, IT, facilities, legal). This role currently has two direct reports.
You have strong business operations chops and have superflexed across Finance, HR, Legal, and/or IT functions in a small or growth professional services organization.
Equal parts thinker and doer, you enjoy delving into a problem, assessing the situation, making a recommendation, and then driving through to result. You ask the right questions and pivot quickly with new information or changing priorities. You are looking for an opportunity to help a controlled growth, employee-focused company scale.
Roles and responsibilities
- Office management and facilities. Oversee Office Manager; responsible for facility operations, maintenance, and security, including office space utilization and standard operating procedures.
- Business health and finance. Ensure that we are measuring and managing the health of the business in line with the company’s strategic goals. Work closely with finance to execute budget management, forecasting and analysis.
- People operations and payroll. Own recruiting, onboarding, talent, and utilization strategy in partnership with client services. Own relationship with our PEO.
- Information technology. Conduct qualitative and quantitative analysis to surface critical insights and trends.
- Back-office management. Determine and manage how we execute all back office functions.
- Advance strategic initiatives. Help make big decisions, roll out new initiatives, and refine processes in line with our strategic needs.
Desired skills and experience
- 8+ years experience in a business operations capacity within a professional services environment (consulting, creative, agency).
- Comfortable with ambiguity; finds solving new problems and partnering with new teams energizing and exciting.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize data, drawing meaningful insights, and providing actionable strategies
- Stellar communications skills, both in-person and in-writing.
- Passionate about technology and the opportunities it presents for streamlining workflows; experience with Dropbox and G Suite a plus.
- Experience managing the health of a professional services firm at the project level, including time tracking, utilization, and project profitability.
- Understanding of the unique needs of people operations within a small professional services firm, from recruiting to utilization; experience with Lever or similar applicant tracking system a plus.
- Strong knowledge of general accounting principles, including revenue recognition and QuickBooks experience a plus.
- Familiarity with procurement process for government clients, GSA in particular, and/or clients in regulated industries a plus.
- Experience reviewing and understanding commercial and legal contracts, including interacting with client-side legal counsel.
- Must be a multitasker with the ability to prioritize and adapt in a fast-paced, rapidly growing, and changing environment.
Does this sound like you? Follow the link below to apply online.
The application asks for a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please provide detail on how you have helped a professional services organization achieve operational excellence. We care deeply about culture and your cover letter will help us understand if you might be a fit.
Let us know your salary expectations and availability for employment. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. No agencies, please.