Head of Infrastructure
HELP US BUILD THE FUTURE OF MONEY
Gemini Trust Company, LLC (Gemini) is a licensed digital asset exchange and custodian. We built the Gemini platform so customers can buy, sell, and store digital assets (e.g., Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Zcash) in a regulated, secure, and compliant manner.
Digital assets and blockchain technology have the power to transform the world for good. This truth, along with our core values, form the bedrock of our company and culture. At Gemini, no job is too small and no project too big as we endeavor to build the future of money. We are a mission-driven, team-based, inclusive, and determined community of thought leaders who invest in each other and the long game. Join us in our mission!
The Department: Infrastructure
Gemini’s Infrastructure teams are key experts in building and operating Gemini's world class cryptocurrency exchange systems and networks, using a combination of high-speed data center equipment and cloud-hosted components. With a focus on building, automating, and scaling Gemini’s product offerings, the Infrastructure keeps a close eye on the horizon and thinks steps ahead of the company’s business needs to collaboratively build and scale its growing footprint.
The Role: Head of Infrastructure
As Head of Infrastructure, you will take ownership of and be responsible for evolving our mission critical Trading, Custody, Surveillance, Compliance and Corporate IT infrastructure. Your challenge will be to take us from “good” to “great”: You’ll continue building a team of expert systems, network and datacenter engineers focused on site reliability and automation along the way. As Gemini’s business scales to more locations globally, you’ll level up our global scale and redundancy without compromising operational simplicity, setting strategy and roadmap for how we grow.
- Set the strategy and long-term roadmap for the team. You will build and direct the team responsible for all major infrastructure initiatives. Your team’s projects will span systems, network and datacenter growth, low-latency engineering, continuous integration and deployment, backup and disaster recovery systems, and developing highly automated operational monitoring and management of our infrastructure.
- Take complete ownership of the operational health, performance, security, usability, and long-term design of our infrastructure. You will lead a shift in our product engineering culture to one that depends on your team for the most foundational aspects of our software products.
- Recruit and grow the team. You will be responsible for planning the headcount of the team. You will hire and manage Site Reliability Engineers, System Engineers, Network Engineers and others!
- Work with product managers, our VP of Engineering, and our CTO to plan and anticipate future opportunities and growth challenges that relate to our infrastructure choices.
- Work with product engineers to understand and prioritize solutions to productivity challenges and day-to-day pain points.
- Monitor expenses and work with our Finance team to achieve an optimal balance of efficient spending while not getting in the way of engineering productivity.
- Champion and amplify a culture that prioritizes reliability, security, privacy, and observability in everything we build.
- Production experience: You have a track record in production system design and operational ownership from your days as an individual contributor. Your experience means you can swiftly understand design choices and trade-offs, and convincingly ward off bad ideas, whether or not you already have an innate fluency with our exact technical or business environment.
- A passion for team-building: You are equally excited to hire as you are to grow and develop talent from within. As a manager you listen continuously and give direct, actionable feedback.
- An excitement for building things with a security-first, customer focused mindset.
- A deep understanding of distributed systems, OS and network security, and building server systems at scale.
- A worst-case-scenario mindset balanced with empathy and intuition for where it is safe for us to take risks. You will by default steer the team to innovate with existing industry tech, but complement this with frequent experimentation in bleeding edge tech and an openness to new ideas.
- Experience with cloud computing, container orchestration, and service-oriented architectures.
- An outstanding ability to evaluate risks and trade-offs and act decisively: We know there are many ways to build systems; you’ll find and champion the best approaches for our team.
- Experience in a highly regulated industry, preferably financial services/exchanges.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive base salaries across all departments
- Ownership in the company via profit sharing units
- Amazing benefits, 401k match contribution, and flexible hours
- Snacks, Perks, Wellness Outings & Events
Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.