Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $35 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity
As an IT Manager, Internal Controls within the Accounting team and reporting to the Controller, Internal Controls, you will be the go-to person for continuing to create and fortify our various internal policies, procedures and control environment, specifically related to the evolving IT environment. This role will help support SOC1 and Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) compliance initiatives and will also help implement and integrate tools that will be utilized by the Finance and Accounting teams and other departments/verticals.
- Assist with designing and implementing Better.com’s internal control infrastructure
- Drive process optimization focusing on application controls, reports, and interfaces for financial applications and their supporting technologies
- Develop process documentation including SOPs, narratives, and process flows
- Test the design or operating effectiveness of internal controls and design efficient and effective solutions to mitigate gaps
- Participate in special projects and initiatives to ensure potential control and process gaps are adequately addressed
- Bachelors or advanced degree in information systems, accounting, internal audit, finance, business, economics or other related field
- 5+ years of overall experience in some combination of public accounting, internal audit, controls specialist, or IT risk compliance / advisory role
- CPA, CIA, CISA or other professional certification
- Strong understanding of internal controls and involvement in driving SOC1 and SOX compliance
- Experience with identifying gaps, designing, and implementing internal controls, including IT general controls and application controls, in a fast paced environment
- Ability to understand IT processes, management objectives, risk appetite and tolerances and impact of changes to risk profiles
- Strong leadership skills, work ethic and drive for constant development of self and team
- Superior analytical skills and a high level of attention to detail
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills that translate across technical and business partners
- Experience with the following systems is a plus: NetSuite, Workday, Looker, and other analytical tools.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Better.com is committed to paying NYC HQ salary bands, for all employees, regardless of where they are located and does not adjust salaries based on cost of living location. Our total rewards package consists of base salary, yearly cash bonus, equity and benefits. Additional employment-related benefits include:
- A $500 stipend to set up the WFH office of your dreams
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits—including medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust holistic wellbeing offerings where you can experience unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after only 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.