Manager, Business Operations
We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re making homeownership simpler, faster — and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it’s like to buy and own a home in this country, we’re building things that don’t exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, we’re one of Crain’s “Best Places to work”
- We’re #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 on Inc.’s 2019 “5000 Fastest-Growing Companies”
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire home buying journey.
A Better opportunity:
The business operations (‘BizOps’) team at Better is responsible for identifying, prioritizing and solving Better’s most critical business challenges in a fast-moving environment. We are known by many unofficial names, “the nerve center of the business”, “the glue across the org”, “a SWAT team for the executive leadership” - essentially a mix of strong analytical capabilities, sharp business acumen and get-stuff-done mentality. We use a structured approach to drive company strategy across major business functions, develop operational plans to enable innovative offerings and lead execution against our recommendations. A shortlist of past projects include,
- Operationalizing a first-of-its-kind consumer offering that contributes the majority of the company’s purchase volume today
- Developing and executing a capacity expansion plan to triple mortgage production capacity from within 6 months (including the establishment of offshore teams)
- Designing and executing the company’s expansion strategy across states
- Enabling robust pricing strategies coupled with tight feedback loops through a series of data analysis, industry studies and customer interviews
- Understanding key drop off points in the customer conversion funnel and working with product, sales and marketing teams to address root causes
As part of the BizOps team, you will play a pivotal role in helping to shape and build out BizOps. You can expect to actively contribute in the following ways:
- Identify, prioritize and solve ongoing business requirements for a rapidly growing company
- Gather and analyze information to generate actionable insights
- Monitor our external environment (e.g., market conditions, competitive pressures, regulatory landscape) and derive implications for the business
- Drive alignment on priorities across key business functions (e.g., operations, product, marketing, capital markets, corporate) through our strategic planning and OKR cycles
- Lead end-to-end execution on major, cross-functional company initiatives
- You are a strong performer with at least 2-4 years of experience in business operations / management consulting at a top-tier firm
- You have a bias for action, as well as a strong sense of practicality and effectiveness
- You have strong data analysis, data modeling, slide writing and presentation skills; SQL experience strongly preferred
- You’ve worked previously with an early-stage company / have tangible experience building something from the ground up
- You have excellent communication and relationship-building skills.
- You are highly adaptable, and able to thrive in ambiguous or uncertain environments.
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering, computer science or information system
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.