At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Please note that effective July 1, 2021, MSK will require all new hires, volunteers, and vendors who come onsite to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. This is based on the COVID-19 vaccines’ high level of protection and our shared responsibility in protecting our patients.
Do you have a background in High Performance Computing and want to help enable and advance groundbreaking computational research in the frontline of the fight to cure cancer? We are seeking HPC Manger to join our Advanced Research Computing team! As a People Leader you will engage and support the academic and research scientists in research projects potentially involving multiple external organizations. Our group is committed to building collaborative environments in which the best software engineering practices are valued, and to sharing and applying cross-disciplinary computational techniques in new and emerging areas. In this position, you will manage and maintain HPC resources, including systems administration; coordinate and direct integration and growth of these resources; guide short- and long-term planning of HPC computing at MSKCC; keep abreast of emerging technologies that may benefit HPC computing research and applications at MSKCC.
What you will do
- Lead a team of system administrators in their maintenance of High Performance Research Computing, reporting to the Director of Research Computing.
- Design, implement, integrate, and maintain existing and future High performance storage system for cluster computing. Implement schemes for sharing storage space and quotas among research groups.
- Design, implement, and maintain a large scale archival storage system for multiple data types (including raw sequencing data, analysis results, microscopy data and other kinds of research and publication data), including a multi-tiered system for long-term storage.
- Lead the planning and utilization of resources, integrating requirements with input from multiple research groups and the HPC oversight committee. Research new systems, platforms, and configurations. Work with vendors to obtain quotes for purchasing new hardware and software. Coordinate implementation details with other infrastructure teams at MSK. Lead or participate in grant writing efforts to expand HPC resources.
- Network infrastructure development for HPC - Manage the development of a network and communications infrastructure for the sharing of both raw and processing data across the institution.
- Work with MSK Information Security on data security requirements and implementations for the HPC research resources.
- Expert knowledge of high-performance computing with an emphasis on cluster resource management, preferably in an academic/research setting.
- Additional areas of expertise needed: clustered file systems, high-bandwidth networked systems, large scale archive storage systems.
- GPU or heterogeneous CPU/GPU computing experience needed; cloud computing experience welcomed.
- Familiarity with next-generation sequencing computational workflows desired, along with experience in bioinformatic and computational biology computing.
- Ability to work in an environment that is highly heterogeneous in hardware, software, resources, and user needs.
- Experience with managing the annual budget for the group and participate in budgeting and forecasting activities for the department.
- Hold your own in technical discussions, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence.
- Communicate effectively with a diverse user base having varied levels of technical proficiencies.
- Outstanding creative, oral and written communication skills.
- Comfortable with a fast-paced and sometimes ambiguous environment.
Competitive compensation packages | Sick Time |Generous Vacation+ 12 holidays to recharge & refuel| Internal Career Mobility & Performance Consulting | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA & Dependent Care|403b Retirement Savings Plan Match|Tuition Reimbursement |Parental Leave & Adoption Assistance |Commuter Spending Account |Fitness Discounts &Wellness Program | Resource Networks| Life Insurance & Disability |
We believe in communication, openness, and thinking beyond your 8-hour day @ MSK. It’s important to us that you have a sense of impact, community, and work/life balance to be and feel your best.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.