Manager, Strategy & Special Operations at Better.com
We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re making homeownership simpler, faster — and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it’s like to buy and own a home in this country, we’re building things that don’t exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, we’re one of Crain’s “Best Places to work”
- We’re #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 on Inc.’s 2019 “5000 Fastest-Growing Companies”
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire home buying journey.
A Better opportunity:
The Strategy & Special Ops team at Better is responsible for identifying and solving Better’s most challenging strategic questions. Reporting directly to the CEO, the Strategy and Special Ops team will deploy against the company’s most difficult projects, support Better’s senior executives improve organizational decision-making, and facilitate effective company-wide strategic planning.
As a part of the Strategy & Special Ops team, you will have the opportunity to be a trusted thought partner to Better’s executive leadership team and CEO. Working with executives and leaders across functions such as Product, Operations, and Capital Markets, you will use a structured approach to develop and improve overall execution and delivery of our strategy. You will also lead on delivering solutions to the business’s most critical cross-functional problems.
The Strategy & Special Ops team serves as a problem-identification function - scanning the organization for gaps and ensuring that the executive team is prioritizing problem-solving towards the most urgent strategic issues. A shortlist of sample projects include:
- Structuring the decision-making process for investing in new product offerings, acquisitions, and new product features across the company
- Leading a cross-functional assessment of our promotion strategy, including alignment with our longer-term brand strategy and A/B testing of the impact it has on conversion and overall economics
- Formulating and updating the 2 to 3 year strategic roadmap in partnership with the executive leadership team
- You are a strong performer with at least 4-6 years of experience in a strategy, finance, product management, or management consulting role.
- You have experience leading projects or workstreams where you had management responsibilities.
- You have a bias for action, as well as a strong sense of practicality and effectiveness.
- You have strong data analysis, data modeling, slide writing and/or presentation skills; SQL or Python experience strongly preferred.
- You have previous experience with mergers & acquisitions, post-merger integrations, product roadmap development, organizational design, change management, or cross-functional implementation projects.
- You have excellent communication and relationship-building skills.
- You are highly adaptable, and able to thrive in ambiguous or uncertain environments.
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can't wait to leave the conversation and build it.
Better is an equal opportunity employer, and seeks to build a workplace where people from many backgrounds can thrive. We believe that multiple perspectives lead to better decision-making, make us better employers, and create better outcomes for our customers. We strongly encourage people from diverse backgrounds (racial, religious, sexual orientation, gender-identity, formerly incarcerated, disability status, veteran status) to apply.