Medical Director, Head of Health Equity and Disparities Research
At Flatiron, we aim to learn from the journey of every patient with cancer in order to improve lives. As a leader in real world evidence generation and evaluation, Flatiron is uniquely positioned to understand and take action on cancer health disparities through research with our large, longitudinal clinical and genomic datasets. We are seeking a Head of Health Equity and Disparities Research to build and lead a productive and transformative scientific and data-driven agenda to promote health equity in cancer.
With access to billions of data points on millions of patients with cancer treated across our network, Flatiron is changing the way life science companies, academics, and regulators use real-world data (RWD) to accelerate research and generate evidence. Flatiron has active research partnerships with the FDA, top-tier academic medical centers, the top 15 oncology biopharma companies, non-profit cancer organizations, and international entities such as NICE. Using a technology-first approach, we create electronic health record (EHR)-derived RWD data sets with higher quality, accuracy, recency, and scale than any other cancer dataset available.
Flatiron is committed to advancing inclusive research by using our data to understand and address disparities in cancer outcomes. Flatiron is expanding our impact beyond retrospective research by building out our prospective research capabilities and working closely with community and academic institutions to develop quality metric and intervention tools.
Here's what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
What You'll Do
In this role, you will create and maintain a unifying vision and strategy for health disparity and equity scientific efforts. You will help embed health equity principles across the organization, ensuring that Flatiron’s data support a health equities lens and that Flatiron brings key health equity insights into all of our products and research. This role has significant internal and external influence and is vital to advancing Flatiron’s mission and positioning Flatiron as an industry leader in this effort. In addition,
- Within Flatiron, you will:
- Establish infrastructure, resources and stakeholder relationships necessary to support successful implementation and execution of the health disparity and equity scientific strategy
- Lead health equity data considerations and action at Flatiron in collaboration with a diverse group of scientists, clinicians, statisticians, product managers, engineers, machine learning experts, and others to support core products and enable innovation.
- Advance data representativeness, augment datasets through development of new variables (e.g. enhanced SES variable) and refine analytic methods necessary to deepen insights in all areas of health disparities and health equity science using real world data.
- Develop and drive a cross-functional research program as a collaborator or an independent researcher, depending on interest, to better understand cancer treatment, outcomes and access in underserved populations.
- Collaborate with engineering, machine learning and other teams to develop tools to measure and improve quality at clinical care sites with a health equity lense
- Engage with cross-functional teams building out prospective data generation capacity to incorporate features important to promote health equity
- Work with senior Flatiron leaders to advocate for and to advance health disparities and health equity science at FH
- Build and lead external expert and patient Advisory Board to advise Flatiron in the areas of health equity and health disparities
- Outside of Flatiron, you will also:
- Build external relationships to advance Flatiron’s engagement in health equity and health disparities research in the broader ecosystem.
- Work with senior Flatiron leaders to advocate for and to advance health disparities and health equity science using RWD
- Expand and lead a network of academic partners employing Flatiron data for health equity research and intervention development
- Oversee extramural health equities research support (e.g. grant funding, training and direct collaboration)
- Proactively identify and prioritize opportunities and partnerships to position Flatiron as an industry leader in health equity real world data and research
- Engage as a health equities research expert with external stakeholders around health equity considerations: life-science partners, regulatory bodies, academia, patient advocacy organizations and other entities.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with Flatiron teams leading clinician and patient facing engagement in the US and internationally, work closely with product and data platform teams, learn from real world data experts globally, build internal and external capabilities to address health inequities and contribute a health equity lense to the advancement of the role of real world evidence to support drug development, public health policy and care delivery. You will be joining a supportive, highly collaborative multidisciplinary environment committed to your success and the success of health disparities and health equities research that produces clinically-meaningful and actionable results.
Who You Are
You are passionate about and have deep expertise in health equity, health disparities and related research. You are a dynamic leader with significant experience advancing research and projects in a cross-functional environment. You are also excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves to tackle meaningful problems each and every day. You are a kind, curious and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and is motivated by making an impact on the lives of patients with cancer.
- You are a Health Equity and Health Disparities expert with
- An advanced training in public health, epidemiology, health policy or equivalent (PhD required you have an MD, DNP, PharmD)
- 5+ years of experience in contributing to health equities/health disparities research and related activities
- A deep understanding of real world data, including the strengths and limitations of electronic health records (EHR) and other data sources relevant to oncology and to health equity and health disparities research
- Comprehensive understanding of health equity and health disparities issues impacting patients with cancer
- You are a Leader who thrives on building programs from scratch and working collaboratively to lead and inspire teams towards a shared goal. You have a demonstrated ability to partner at all levels and within all functions of a complex organization
- You are a Problem Solver who brings different and creative ways of seeing the world and solving problems and who has a long-term vision; Comfortable challenging the status quo
- You are a Mentor who enjoys facilitating scientific and leadership development
- You are a strong Communicator with excellent oral and written skills needed for rigorous strategy development and implementation. You lead change by creating and inspiring employee and stakeholder engagement
- You share our commitments to diversity, equity and inclusion to support a culture of belonging at Flatiron
If this sounds like you, you'll fit right in at Flatiron.
- Clinical Advanced clinical training (MD, Nurse PhD/DNP, PharmD) is preferred but not required if health equity and health disparities research and related activities are clinically-based.
- Experience with both academic and industry collaborations
- Knowledge of informatics and/or data quality metrics
- Direct oncology patient care experience
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, engineers and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
At Flatiron, we strive to build and maintain an environment where employees from all backgrounds are valued, respected and have the opportunity to succeed. You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Professional development benefit for attending conferences, industry events and external courses
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Career coaching opportunities
- Flatiron University training curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Work/life autonomy via flexible work hours and flexible paid time off
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks for any parent)
- Back-up child care
- Flatiron-sponsored fitness classes
- Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) that encourage our employees to share their unique experiences and perspectives
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.