Network Engineer at Flatiron Health
We're looking for a Network Engineer to help us accomplish our mission to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here's what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
What You'll Do
In this role, you'll work with the Corporate Engineering team to design and build infrastructure that provides high levels of scalability, reliability, and performance, while balancing security, maintainability, and operational excellence. You'll serve as one of two network engineers responsible for both corporate and cloud environments. As Flatiron continues to expand, resilient and fault tolerant networks are crucial to success. This role will expand the team’s network expertise, building a network engineering focal point for all of Flatiron Health. In addition, you'll also:
- Interface across teams to codify network changes using Flatiron’s software development lifecycle
- Be proactive in performance & availability monitoring; provide remediations for systemic issues
- Protect data, software, and hardware by coordinating, planning and implementing network security measures
- Interface with Internet service providers to build new connectivity or troubleshoot current
- Troubleshoot and replace faulty network hardware components when required
- Design, implement, and test system playbooks to provide instructions to support teams
- Develop disaster recovery and business continuity plans
- Be responsible for on-call network infrastructure duties
While this is a network engineering role, the Corporate Engineering team spans all of Flatiron helping to consult, design, and implement new technical solutions to help with internal team workflows. This role will interface across multiple Flatiron infrastructure and security teams playing a pivotal role in the design, security, and maintenance of Flatiron’s networks.
Who You Are
You're a Network Engineer actively designing and troubleshooting corporate or cloud networks. You're excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves to tackle meaningful problems each and every day. You’re a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make an important impact.
- You have thorough knowledge of firewalls and client VPNs
- You have an understanding of dynamic routing protocols. BGP experience is a plus.
- You have experience in building/troubleshooting IPSec tunnels; understanding of IKEv1 vsIKEv2
- You have an understanding of layer 2 technologies: VLAN segmentation, VLAN tagging, 802.1x authentication
- You have worked with cloud technologies like AWS
- You have solid scripting ability with Python
- You have a familiarity with systems configuration management, orchestration, and infrastructure as code with tools such as Ansible and/or Terraform
- You are a strong communicator and have the ability to work effectively across multiple business and engineering teams
- You are able to adjust quickly to changing priorities and make quick decisions with limited information
- You believe that a team working well together is truly smarter than the single smartest person on that team
If this sounds like you, you'll fit right in at Flatiron.
- You have familiarity with Palo Alto Networks firewalls
- You have experience with Aruba wireless or switching infrastructure
- You have experience with container overlay networks
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Flatiron University training curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Professional development benefit for attending conferences, industry events and external courses
- Work/life autonomy via flexible work hours and flexible paid time off
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks for either parent)
- Back-up child care
- Flatiron-sponsored fitness classes
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.