Operations Manager, Product and Technology at Better.com
We’re one of the fastest-growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re making homeownership simpler, faster — and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it’s like to buy and own a home in this country, we’re building things that don’t exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, we’re one of Crain’s “Best Places to work”
- We’re #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 on Inc.’s 2019 “5000 Fastest-Growing Companies”
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire home buying journey.
A Better opportunity:
The Product and Engineering teams at Better consists of about 100 engineers and 20 product managers. Together they are responsible for the end to end experience getting a loan at Better.com, as well as all the things behind the scenes automating and structuring the mortgage process. It’s a team that moves very quickly – we ship improvements to Better.com about 50 times daily, and we use tons of data to improve the experience and drive decisions.
The Product Operations Manager role will work with the Product, Design and Engineering teams along with their stakeholders to strengthen product feedback loops, operationalize processes and products, and to scale knowledge across the organization. As the team grows rapidly (we've grown >3x in last year) we want someone to focus on the product development process as if it were a product itself. Some examples of things you might be working on:
- Build consistent communication and documentation processes across PDE to ensure successful communication within the team, the necessary sales/ops teams, executives, and other cross functional stakeholders
- Identify resource needs across the org and drive the headcount planning process
- Create a consistent reporting plan for all teams KPIs metrics and work with the data team to build dashboards so that each team can track their goals quantitatively
- Work with product, design, engineering leads and stakeholders to help run the quarterly planning process.
- Refine and own processes for how to deal with outages, bugs, and escalations from other teams
- Set up and coordinate onboarding for new engineers and product managers
- Map out an org chart and stay involved in designing the organization chart
- Research vendors, onboard new ones, manage vendor relationships, and optimize costs
- Identify gaps in cross-team knowledge or collaboration and create programs / processes to help our PDE team connect the dots of this incredibly complex product
- At least 3 years of experience in product, technology, consulting, finance, or at a startup.
- Ability to operate in fast-paced, hyper-growth environments
- Comfortable with ambiguity, takes initiative with little to no direction
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- An interest in technology, although no formal knowledge is required.
- Careful and accurate with details
- A bias for action, as well as a strong sense of practicality and effectiveness.
- You have strong analysis and modeling skills – you love taking a messy problem and figuring out a way to simplify it down to a spreadsheet
- You communicate fluently through slide decks and documents when needed
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.