Physician, New Markets and Implementation at Cityblock Health
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
- In your capacity as Physician, New Markets & Implementation, you will be directly responsible for the design, build and application of Cityblock’s care model for new markets. Your goal is to ensure that we have clinically sound delivery models and care programs that meet the needs of the populations we’ll be serving in the market and that the clinical components are tightly articulated and operationally viable. You will work cross-functionally to reconcile a wide set of stakeholders (Clinical, Financial, Market, Digital Product) to ensure successful launch of all key deliverables. Additionally, through involvement in centralized strategy design, you will support the ongoing standardization of our clinical model across existing markets.
- Success in this role will require excellent execution, vision setting, collaboration with various departments, and strong relationships across the clinical leadership team.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Act as the clinical lead for new markets until local leadership structure is established. This may include representing Cityblock as needed to external parties, as well as acting as the responsible collaborative physician for clinical hires, and serve as supervisor for other clinically oriented manager roles (eg Manger Nursing and Community Care, Manager of Behavioral Health and Wellness)
- Serve as clinical subject matter expert for new markets in Cityblock’s care model and care strategy, driving ongoing design, experimentation, and codification of care philosophy, care models and care pathways to drive optimal member outcomes.
- Lead the development of defined elements of our care model for new markets, collaborating with stakeholders from multiple departments to design and launch key features of Cityblock’s approach to member satisfaction, risk identification, engagement, and care delivery.
- With the support of Market Operations, ensure clear reporting (metric design and dashboarding) is in place for new care teams and market leadership that allows for an understanding of key care model outcomes and for rapid iteration as needed.
- Collaborate with key network staff to inform design of and execute on community based provider engagement framework (provider relationship strategies, hospital engagement, ED collaboration, and referral workflows/systems integrations).
- Create the clinical components of delivery models and care programs for new sub-populations, geographies, and lines of business, using a population management and member-centric approach.
- With Value Services, design a clinical strategy for Elation (our Electronic Medical Record), including templates, workflows, new builds/integrations that will drive efficiency and effective documentation by the care team.
- Assist in the development of and delivery of training related to aspects of the Cityblock care model for new market leadership and new cohorts of care team members
- Create onboarding strategy for new clinical team members (providers, RNs, BHSs) in a market, including medical leadership and primary care providers.
- Drive care team collaboration efforts at the time of launch through scenario-based learning, shadowing visits, and troubleshooting.
- Partner with Practice Operations around hub and home-based workflows to accommodate clinical scope of practice.
- Complete formal handoff to market leadership post-implementation for delivery model and care program operations, role scopes, and clinical workflows.
Direct Member Care: (20%)
- Maintain a clinical cadence and participate in direct care delivery
- Medical intakes/Clinical escalation provider
- Virtual or if needed hub-based (pre-determined cadence and location)
Requirements for the Role:
- You are an independent self-starter, a leader, and a strategic thinker who is excited about the big picture of whole community health, and the ongoing evaluation and iteration of our care model
- You are an MD or DO, Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, or Medicine-Pediatrics with an unrestricted license to practice in the state in which you are employed with Cityblock
- You are an experienced Clinical Leader and have worked at a strategic level to support multi-site clinics and/or dispersed community-based teams across a geographic region
- You know how to build clinical teams and structures at scale
- You have developed teams, supervised clinical team members, and have held administrative roles in clinical organizations or other innovative care models
- You have experience providing clinical services to individuals with co-occurring chronic medical and behavioral health conditions, and have interest in serving complex, vulnerable, and disabled populations.
- Experience working collaboratively with an interdisciplinary care team, and specifically working alongside community health workers or care coordination staff
- Have interest in serving complex, vulnerable, and disabled populations
- Proven skills, knowledge base, and judgment necessary for independent clinical decision-making.
- You are excited to use technology to support your work and help drive the ongoing evaluation toward new and better care
- You are proficient in reviewing and responding to critical member health and population data
- You have an unrestricted driver’s license and vehicle for daily use.
- You are willing to travel and spend significant time in new markets throughout the implementation phase.
How We Define Success:
- Development and socialization of clinical and social care staffing plans for launch markets before implementation.
- Completed MVP staffing and training for clinical team 45-days post go-live
- Clinical practice operations are fully functional at the time of launch
- Under your leadership, clinicians/clinical leaders in new markets should be able to:
- Manage a complex population of members in a collaborative, interdisciplinary team model
- Ensure members on their panel receive appropriate care for acute and chronic diseases, including following ED visits and acute admissions
- Manage a primary care and co-management (WRAP) panel of members to address their long and short-term health needs, ultimately to prevent avoidable hospital and Emergency Department visits
- Meet monthly and quarterly targets for visits with Cityblock members
- Engage in target setting for new clinical initiatives and managing those targets
- Participate in practice development, redesign, and innovation
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Experience with quality improvement, monitoring and evaluation, health system strengthening, innovation in care models
- DEA-approved to provide provide buprenorphine treatment for substance use disorder
- Experience with substance use disorder treatment
- Experience caring for individuals experiencing homelessness
- Experiencing caring for individuals with criminal justice involvement
- Experience with home-visiting/care in the field
- Experience with telemedicine
- Comfort using new technologies in healthcare
- Interest or experience in healthcare assessments and evaluation
- Interest or experience in analysis of healthcare data
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.