Product Technical Support Engineer at Better
Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
Better is looking for a dedicated Product Technical Support Engineer in Oakland/Irvine, New York or Seattle. In this position, you will be providing top-notch support for >5000 users of our internal software and tools. You're a great match if you possess technical experience, fantastic communication, problem-solving and analytical skills, are driven to help co-workers and have the ability to investigate a new product to learn it inside and out.
This role can serve as a great opportunity to grow into many entry roles in the engineering teams.Responsibilities include:
- Identify bugs, test, reproduce, report, and work with the engineers to assist with a fix and test/verify fix versions
- Analyze data with a view to isolate the potential cause of the issue.
- Assist with building internal knowledge base content where gaps may be present
- Debugs basic things in production using developer console and similar basic tooling
- Respond to and resolve tickets and questions from internal users in an exceptional way, excelling in compassion and ownership
- Speak with users about technical issues in a way they can understand
- Collaborate with multiple teams, serving as an escalation point, as well as investigate and solve various product and third party problems
- Work cross-functionally with Product, Engineering, and other teams to ensure resolution of issues
- Escalate repeat issues to our product and engineering teams using pattern recognition and prioritization
- Propose and implement improvements to our process, product, and knowledge base
- Mentor and develop other members of the support team
- 2-5 years of Technical Support
- 2-3 years of Customer Support Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering or equivalent degree/experience
- Experience with technical basics to partner effectively with Better's engineering team to resolve issues.
- Experience with testing and bug fixes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Solutions oriented problem-solving and critical thinking abilities
- Self-starter and excited to work in a constantly evolving environment
- Highly motivated with a strong work ethic and good judgement
- Strong interpersonal skills - you care about people and are passionate about helping others!
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.