Risk Manager at Via
As Via’s Risk Manager - Insurance, you will have the unique opportunity of being the Company’s first full-time risk manager tapped to lead the Risk function at Via, which is currently a cross-functional team with members from Finance, Operations and Legal. You will be the first hire to focus specifically on leading Via’s approach to strategic risk and managing its complex global insurance program. You will work closely with members of the Legal and Finance teams, gaining hands-on exposure to all aspects of risk management at a fast-growing startup.
What You'll Do
- The Risk Manager will be responsible for the strategy, implementation and results for all lines of the Company’s global insurance program including commercial general liability, auto liability, umbrella/excess, global property, casualty, professional and management liability (D&O), cyber risk/ Errors and Omissions, key person life insurance, employment practices, workers compensation and public and products liability.
- The Risk Manager will lead a quarterly risk assessment process across the organization, devising and measuring performance against key compliance metrics relating to insurance requirements, transportation network carrier license holder requirements, auto safety and loss prevention practices and data protection across jurisdictions in which the Company operates.
- Key areas of responsibility include:
- Policy renewals (and audits) for all lines of coverage (domestic and international), including insurer meetings, collection, aggregation, and collation of all underwriting data, preparation and submission of applications and all supporting documents, negotiation of terms, limits, retentions and pricing, policy issuance and review, and premium invoicing payment and allocation.
- Claims management and advocacy, including claims investigations, claims coverage determinations, loss reduction program implementation and management, claims reporting, third party administrator, broker, and insurer contact and coordination, claims oversight, claims meetings and reviews, litigation support, reserve management, settlement negotiations and authorizations, and claims tracking and reporting.
- Review of insurance terms and indemnifications in vendor service agreements, commercial contracts with SaaS and TaaS partners, including negotiation of coverages, limits and retentions, special language requirements, coverage grants, and COI issuance for all business agreements, partnerships, contracts, and leases.
- Negotiation and maintenance of collateral requirements for contracts and licenses, including letters of credit, performance bonds and surety bonds.
- Insurance budget estimating and tracking, for all Via entities.
- General oversight and management of Via’s process to form a captive insurance company, including coordination with Via’s executive team, captive manager, third-party claims administrator, regulators in captive market and actuary.
- Support all Via entities’ insurance needs, including reviewing and advising on various day-to-day issues and concerns involving auto liability, trust and safety, insurance coverages, claims, certificates of insurance, and policies, programs and procedures.
- Administration and research of general risk/insurance related issues, including adequacy of coverages, new coverages, developing trends and exposures, market conditions, broker relations, responding to regulatory and insurer inquiries, records retention ands management.
- Provide risk management assistance to company’s joint ventures, strategic partnerships and in connection with potential strategic transactions.
- The position reports [jointly] to [the General Counsel/CFO].
Who You Are
- 5-10 years of risk management experience, either on the underwriting or brokerage side, or with managing the insurance program of a high growth venture-backed startup.
- Experience with bespoke auto risk, on-demand mobility insurance programs, insurance for the sharing economy, and/or experience with captive formation all a plus.
- Meticulous and vigilant, with a keen attention to detail
- Creative and innovative thinker with an “outside the box” approach – you are constantly generating new ideas and thinking about different ways to do things.
- Willing to wear multiple hats and quickly master new lines of insurance and unique challenges of the bespoke insurance required in the on-demand / sharing economy.
- Demonstrated ability to execute and implement a highly customized global insurance program.
- Team player who works well cross-functionally
- High-energy and enjoy working autonomously
- Outstanding drafter and negotiator with proven expertise in selection of insurance carriers, program renewals and negotiations.
- Business-minded and commercial with great instincts and judgment.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills; knowledge of finance and accounting
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; you can explain insurance to anybody!
- Excited by start-up culture, workspace, and development.
- BA/BS degree required, MBA or JD a plus.
- Location New York, NY.
We’re Via, and we build technology that changes the way the world moves. Our guiding principle is simple: we know that the future of transportation is safe, dynamic, shared public mobility — the kind that reduces carbon emissions across congested cities, complements existing transit infrastructure, and provides everyone with accessible, efficient, and affordable ways of getting around. Through intelligently designed operating systems and sophisticated routing algorithms, we build localized and customizable solutions for each and every one of our global partners (100 and counting, last we checked…)
Long story short: we’re very proud to be championing the transportation evolution of cities around the world and modernizing mobility. Ready to join the ride?
Via offers above market compensation packages and benefits, including equity, health insurance, and relocation assistance.
Via is an equal opportunity employer.