Senior Distributed Systems Engineer
Simon Data was founded in 2015 by a team of successful serial entrepreneurs. We are an enterprise customer data platform that empowers marketers to create personalized data-driven experiences for the customers. We’re scrappy problem solvers who believe in tackling big challenges with disruptive thinking and giving our customers the support they need to deliver great next-generation experiences at scale.
Simon Data is a data-first customer experience orchestration platform, designed to disrupt the marketing technology and marketing cloud category. Simon’s platform empowers businesses to use enterprise-scale data and machine learning to power customer communications across every channel. Our unique approach allows brands to develop one-to-one relationships with their customers without building a bespoke in-house data infrastructure.
At Simon, we firmly believe that business success starts and ends with people. We all do our best work when we are surrounded by other friendly top performers who want to succeed together. This attitude is core to our values. When you trust your team, invest in their development, and give them ownership, great things happen.The Role
Do you get excited about solving complex scaling challenges in a distributed system? Our infrastructure team is looking for a software engineer to do just that.
The infrastructure team at Simon sits right in the middle of where our massive, complex data meets with our feature rich orchestration and business rules. As a successful engineer in this role, you’ll draw upon your years of experience with instrumentation and performance tuning to help improve both the efficiency of data processing pipelines as well as helping meet latency requirements.
We are on the cutting edge of a rapidly developing market segment, and need team members with a pragmatic eye for performance engineering and design at scale. Working at a rapidly growing company with numerous very large & successful enterprise clients, you’ll have the opportunity to rapidly iterate on solutions for massive scale problems typically only available at slow moving incumbents. As our client base continues to evolve, your solutions will as well.
You’ll be joining a team of engineers who care deeply about their work and each other. We value learning, respect & empathy, ownership, collaboration, and getting things done. We move quickly (multiple deploys throughout the day) and constantly work to reduce waste as well as structure ourselves around the most important goals for the business. Our engineering team currently comprises roughly 45 engineers of diverse backgrounds and skill sets.What You'll Do
- Build a world class marketing system handling petabytes of data and billions of contacts
- Automate, harden, and build systems on top of modern data tools like spark, elastic search, and more
- Develop expertise with mainstream technologies at massive scale
- Be a member of and collaborate with an engineering team passionate about quality, staying ahead of the curve, and teamwork
- Help design new features to launch optimally at scale
- 5+ years in a deeply technical role working with complex systems
- Background in operational work maintaining production systems
- Familiarity with the Linux command line and toolset (bash, grep, top, dstat)
- Strong technical skills in distributed systems design and management
- A deep comfort and proficiency with at least one mainstream programming language (Python, Java, Scala, C#, Ruby, etc.)
- Familiarity with multiple software engineering paradigms (OO, functional, etc.)
- Ability to reason about the characteristics of a system and how they manifest in production
- Experience designing & supporting large infrastructures and/or distributed systems
- Desire to learn & collaborate
- Proven history of execution and delivery
- Capability to clearly and professionally communicate
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, Veteran status, or any other legally protected status.