Senior Engineering Manager - Better Escalation & Command Center at Better
Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
Better Escalation & Command Center (ECC) runs the Incident Management and Product Escalation Programs at Better. Our job is to address product escalations in real-time and prevent incidents in the first place. But when incidents do occur, the job is to reduce impact and restore service as soon as possible, and ensure that the organization learns from the experience.
The ideal candidate will have exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills and be comfortable interacting with all levels and functions, including Executive Management, Customer Support, Product Operations, InfoSec leaders and colleagues. We're seeking a self-starter who can recognize where processes can be improved and who will take the initiative to improve them. Using strong communication skills, the Senior Manager will effectively collaborate with a variety of people and job functions across all geographies, accomplishing tasks of moderate to high complexity and scope, and can perform in a challenging and extremely fast-paced environment.Responsibilities
- Develop and set targets for measures of team success.
- Lead the lifecycle of escalations from customers and internal stakeholders (action items that come out of incidents)
- Create problems/action items & drive them to completion with the respective teams.
- Analyze, provide, and represent insights on top incident themes and trends.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify areas to minimize the impact of unavoidable incidents.
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities in the Incident & Problem Management processes.
- Lead Incident postmortem process and drive service providers to identify root causes including well-defined corrective/preventative action plans.
- Actively participate in meetings with key partners and service owners to review events, identify operational issues and trends, incidents, RCA status, postmortem report status, and key performance indicators.
- Drive quality data in postmortem reports, problems, incident tickets, and any other metadata around incidents and action items
- Analyze problems and incidents for correct prioritization, metadata, and correct classification.
- Proactively identify problems, analyze and recommend service improvement plans with the possible solutions obtained from technical teams for departments or business units.
- This role is designated as ‘Flex Mode,’ and is not a fully remote position. The number of days in office will vary based on role requirements. As such, employees must be located within commuting distance of the office and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- 5+ years of experience in a related or similar position with Incident/Problem Management experience.
- Experience building dashboards in Tableau, JIRA or other applications to gather data and identify themes and trends.
- A proven analytical and detailed approach to problem-solving.
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Project management certification is a plus.
Job Req ID: JR101629
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.