Senior Manager, Packaging
Away is looking for a Senior Manager of Packaging to join our product development team and lead all packaging developments. You will be responsible for ensuring that all packaging is of a quality, design and utility to create an exceptional customer experience when they first receive their Away product. This role will be responsible for ensuring packaging is truly exceptional and meets design goals, protects our products & meets cost objectives. Packaging is a product at Away, so the ideal candidate will feel ownership over this product and relentlessly focus on improving and elevating it.
This position is based out of our headquarters in Noho and reports to our VP of Product Development and Sourcing.
What you will do:
- Oversee process of defining packaging requirements and translating creative and marketing recommendations into realistic packaging specifications
- Provide a comprehensive overview of each package project that defines function, manufacturability, costs, preliminary development lead time and design parameters
- Ensure construction & design of all packaging achieves design, function and quality criteria within cost & time objectives
- Validate that all technical drawings and package specifications identify all aspects required to define package to manufacturer
- Develop network of domestic and international suppliers and manage interactions with these suppliers
- Implement package tests for all projects
- Drive innovation by exploring new packaging concepts, technologies & materials to support new Design & Product Development ideas
- Set up continuous improvement program, including: QC & QA, sustainability, cost to manufacture and optimized size to ship
Who you are
- Bachelor's Degree with 8-10 years of experience in packaging development. BS in Packaging Engineering or related technical discipline a plus
- Experience in consumer products or related industry with development experience in packaging. Bonus points for experience developing packaging for e-commerce / online delivery
- Experienced with international packaging development (Asia)
- Possess a broad knowledge of packaging materials (including but not limited to paper, corrugated, dustbags, plastics), structures for consumer products & methods for construction (e.g., injection/extrusion molding, metal/vacuum/glass forming, assembly, etc)
- Superior problem solving skills with a proven ability to be an extremely flexible team member that can meet deadlines and excel in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Excellent at working with cross-functional teams with competing priorities. Particularly Creative, Operations & Product Development
- Excellent communication skills, to be able to deal effectively with all levels of the organization and suppliers
- Excellent organizational skills to manage the documentation, materials, samples and information
- Competitive salary + equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Fitness reimbursement
- Quarterly company outings
- Annual international team trips
Away (awaytravel.com) is modernizing the travel experience, beginning with your luggage, while striving to set the example for how socially conscious companies should conduct themselves. In November 2015, we launched our brand in Vogue, GQ, and USA Today, and have been featured in over 80 publications including New York Magazine, Travel + Leisure, and Wallpaper*. Away was founded by two Warby Parker alums and has raised $31M in venture funding from investors including Global Founders Capital, Forerunner Ventures, and Accel Partners.