Senior Manager, Title Operations at Better.com
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
We are seeking a Senior Manager of Title Operations to join Better’s fastest growing new business line, Better Settlement Services. The Senior Manager will be instrumental in the growth of Better’s rapidly expanding title insurance agency in Texas BSS, Texas. The Senior manager will be responsible for managing title operational processes, expanding our Texas footprint, ensuring strong adherence to regulatory and legal guidelines, and helping us evolve the state of title insurance. The ideal candidate is customer obsessed, has a strong industry experience, and is looking for a new challenge to make title insurance “Better”.
Responsibilities will include:
- Take ownership of title operational processes, improving existing ones and develop new ones where gaps exist to effectively scale Better Settlement Services
- Scope and define BSS Texas roadmap, building out a team as we grow
- Manage a team of operators and partners to ensure successful delivery against monthly and quarterly targets (volume and operational)
- Manage the examination of title commitments for accuracy and identify any requirements, defects and exceptions and work to clear the issues timely
- Manage the entire real estate closing process, including compliance with real estate contracts, lender instructions, title requirements, company requirements and other written instructions.
- Execute closing and obtain payments due, disburse funds to appropriate parties, and maintain follow-up necessary for transaction completion and issuance of policy.
- Prior to disbursement, confirm all funds are collected, all appropriate documents are checked for accuracy, signatures are collected, and acknowledgements and legal descriptions are correct.
- Oversee the issuance of checks, bills and statements, and receipts associated with the closing process.
- Ensure timely recordation of closing documents and issuance of title policy.
- Provide best in class customer service to clients and customers.
- Define, implement, and monitor the goals, objectives, and work standards for an operational team in both the U.S. and India
- Leverage deep industry experience to develop and enhance processes, while continuously seeking to innovate and improve the way title insurance is delivered
- Develop and direct the implementation of policies and procedures that comply with regulatory and statutory guidelines, rules, and standards
- Deliver robust monitoring and reporting to ensure high standards of excellence and achievement of operational goals
- Escrow Agent licensure and 5+ years’ experience within the Texas Title industry and real estate industry required.
- Experience in managing escrow operations, title, realtor and lender sales, and being a people leader
- Demonstrated competency in creating and execution on strategic plans
- Proven track record of leading large, complex projects with multiple stakeholders and driving organizational change
- Demonstrated success with meeting the needs of a wide range of employees while driving team performance, monitoring results and appropriately allocating resources
- Strong experience and knowledge of functional tools and infrastructure
- Must have knowledge of all escrow processes and able to maintain the escrow process from beginning to end.
- Knowledge of Texas Title Insurance Procedural and Rate Rules.
- Superior analytical and critical thinking skills.
- ALTA best practices experience preferred.
- Work under general supervision.
- High capacity for dealing with ambiguity and working in a fast-paced environment
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to listen, understand, analyze, and develop creative solutions
- Highly collaborative and team-oriented approach to solving problems
- Ability to think strategically but enjoys rolling up his/her sleeves to get things done
- Bonus points for experience in managing or overseeing rapidly scaling Texas Title Agency Operations
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Better.com is committed to paying NYC HQ salary bands, for all employees, regardless of where they are located and does not adjust salaries based on cost of living location. Our total rewards package consists of base salary, yearly cash bonus, equity and benefits. Additional employment-related benefits include:
- A $500 stipend to set up the WFH office of your dreams
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits—including medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust holistic wellbeing offerings where you can experience unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after only 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.