Senior Network Engineer at Better.com
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
The Networking Team is a diverse group of technology professionals responsible for the infrastructure that powers Better’s sites. Better is looking for a self-motivated person to help us build, maintain, and support our networking infrastructure. You will be joining a strategic group that cross-functionally services the Better business and partners with multiple departments across the entire enterprise. The Networking Team is helping the company achieve scale by enabling expansion to new sites, as well as driving efficiencies to existing processes. The ideal candidate is a customer-service driven, technical person who can manage day-to-day operations. This person should be comfortable multi-tasking, able to maintain high attention to detail, and be resourceful as needed.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assist with the strategy and tactical execution of scaling, managing, optimizing Better’s network design and architecture currently and the future.
- Hands-on configuration, availability, performance and security management of firewalls, VPNs, switches, Wi-Fi and all intra and inter site communication.
- Create/maintain/improve network support documentation and processes
- Analyze business requirements and translate them into actionable technical requirements.
- Serve as a technical, engineering subject matter expert for a complex global network.
- Accountable for securing Better's network as well as collaboration with the security team and vendors on security tooling and incident response.
- Recommend and perform upgrades on network systems to ensure uptime
- Contribute to planning, testing and responding to Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery events
- Ensure the infrastructure is properly monitored within set thresholds and that alerts regarding network outages are addressed in a timely manner
- Troubleshoot and repair network-related problems, system failures, switching/routing, etc.
- Identify/diagnose network configuration and/or performance irregularities. Develop procedures to respond to these irregularities in a timely manner
- Provide timely issue resolutions by evaluating, tracking, escalating, managing of all requests/problems reported
- Collaborate with IT staff and others as required to resolve infrastructure operations
- Management of AWS network (infrastructure as code)
- 4+ years as a hands-on Network Engineer
- 4+ years of related experience in mission critical network engineering with proven skills in development, and successful implementation of enterprise WANs (global)
- 2-4 years of experience with configuration and deployment of Palo Alto Networks firewalls
- Experience with configuration and deployment of Juniper switching.
- Extensive knowledge with configuring and managing exterior and interior routing protocols (e.g. BGP, OSPF, etc.)
- Experience with configuration and operation of network and system monitoring software (Solarwinds or comparable).
- Highly Proficient with DNS, DHCP, TCP/IP, SIP, Wireless, RFC, and ISO standards, etc.
- Strong attention to details with demonstrated troubleshooting, documentation and analytical skills.
- Experience with AWS (TGW, VPC, etc.).
Bonus Points for:
- Palo Alto Certification
- Juniper Certification
- Aruba NAC & Wireless Experience
- Citrix ADC Experience
- SD-WAN Experience
- Terraform Experience
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.