Senior Operations Manager
What is the position?
Oscar is changing how consumers experience healthcare - and operational excellence is the foundation of it all.
Now it’s time to rapidly scale our operations - and we’re looking for experienced leaders to help continue to drive the effort. When you come in, you will help lead one of our core operational functions in building best-in-class lean processes, managing cross-functional stakeholders, and leveraging technology to drive automation, speed, and quality. You will lead a strong team of high performing individuals to ensure they have the necessary support, and are empowered to continue to move the needle for our members and provider partners.
At Oscar, we never build alone. This role will partner heavily with all of the key stakeholder functions at Oscar including the Risk, Network, Clinical, Concierge, Population Health, Product, Engineering, Finance, Legal, and Compliance teams.
Ideally, you have remarkable experience leading a tech-driven service organization and a notable track record of improving operational metrics and customer experience. Additionally, you must be a systematic thinker and just get things done. Experience in owning, driving and improving operational processes is a must.
Deliverables: What you have to achieve
During your first six weeks:
- Developed a thorough understanding of the operations ecosystem (incl. the underlying technology) as well as current strengths, weaknesses, and gaps.
- Developed a work plan for the next six months.
- Embodied Oscar’s vision of customer-orientation and lean production.
- Engaged and begun to lead the current members of the team
- Built relationships with the cross-functional company stakeholders (you’ll be collaborating with a wide range of teams, as well as the Oscar leadership team).
During your first five months:
- Implemented 3 - 5 key process improvements that markedly moved the organization towards operational excellence.
- Established tracking tools, metrics and alerts that allow to accurately understand the performance and status of the ecosystem at all times.
- Installed mechanisms to facilitate continuous improvement and learning processes..
Afterwards and on an ongoing basis:
You continue to...
- Lead the team to build and implement measurable, repeatable, scalable, and predictable processes.
- Drive continuous improvement to enable the organization to scale efficiently and effectively.
- Set aggressive and meaningful goals, then empower the team to achieve them
Winning factors: What leads to success
Must-have qualifications and expertise include:
- Highly systematic thinking as shown demonstrated by prior work or experience (lean operations, consulting, MBA, project management, etc).
- Strong ability to influence others even without direct authority.
- Building, coaching, developing teams.
- A strong technical aptitude as well as strong Excel and initial SQL skills.
- 5 - 7+ years (operating) experience leading teams in a complex environment, with a track record of consistent quality and efficiency improvements.
You will love this job, if you:
- Are excited to create a metrics-driven organization and drive towards ‘zero defects’.
- Constantly find ways to eliminate work.
- Take pride in closing out the day with ‘zero inventory’.
- Know that there must be an easier solution.
- Can drive forward even amidst ambiguity (people, process, data) and complexity.
- Love coaching and developing people - and vendors.
- Have tinkered with or built technology.
- Believe that technology and people processes can not only coexist, but enrich each other in powerful ways.
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we work to cultivate an environment where exceptional people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change healthcare -- an experience made whole by your unique background and perspectives.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team ([email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy: Oscar's Pay Transparency Policy ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.