Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
The People Development Sr. Specialist will be responsible for managing the execution of ongoing performance review and development cycles. The Sr. Specialist will work closely with team leadership in managing the global performance management cycle; including performance and development goal setting, performance reviews, talent assessments, development planning, and succession planning. You will support department leaders and collaborate heavily with HRBPs and business partners to design and deliver organizational programs and strategies in support of organizational development initiatives that meet ongoing and future business needs. This is a great opportunity for someone who’s looking to play a key role in implementing high-impact talent programs across a rapidly scaling company.
Primary Job Responsibilities will include:
Manage execution of semi-annual performance review & development cycles
- Create and update tools, templates, and platforms (Workday & Culture Amp)
- Draft and maintain plan-of-record for platform functionality
- Work with partners in project management, communications & change, and learning & development to ensure all materials are ready on time
- Collaborate closely with learning partners to translate process design into effective learning deliverables
- Organize meetings with HRBPs and other leaders, including scheduling, creating agendas, note taking and meeting follow-up; supporting department leaders as they guide the organization through the cycle
- Raise risks to timeline or outcomes and provide potential solutions
- Track and report on progress
Support overall performance and talent management design
- Proactively gather and analyze feedback from stakeholders before, during, and after cycles
- Recommend & build solutions for prioritized enhancements
- Stay up to date on platform functionality and new releases
Additional People Development Projects
- Where capacity and interest allow, exposure and involvement in a variety of projects across L&D, engagement, and other people functions
- Actively contribute to the continuous improvement of the People Development team by leading special projects, conducting research, analyzing programs, and providing critical feedback to improve People Development processes and practices.
We are looking for someone who is excited about People Development and is ready to support the team. This person should have a solid understanding of how to navigate performance and talent programs thoughtfully and effectively.
- You have 5+ years of professional experience in performance and talent management - ideally in a high-growth organization
- A successful history of structuring and prioritizing projects, working with senior management and cross-functional partners, building from scratch as well as improving existing work.
- Passionate about performance and talent, adding insight and value to projects as they move through to execution. Committed to creating & searching for new and innovative approaches to activities that enhance performance
- You are self-directed, adaptable, and results-oriented and bring high energy and positive attitude to our team. Able to work autonomously and collaboratively within a wider team.
- Highly detail-oriented, analytic, energetic and self-motivated individual
- Strategic – understands and can articulate the company strategy and how one’s role fits in and drives its successful execution
- Comfortable working in an environment in which businesses processes, tools, deadlines etc. are continually evolving
- Resourceful in overcoming roadblocks that hinder processes
- High degree of organizational and time management skills; able to set and manage expectations and competing priorities
- Proficiency or experience with the following systems/tools is a bonus: Workday, Culture Amp, Linkedin Learning, Articulate 360
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.