SOC Analyst II: Legal Operations at DigitalOcean
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are passionate about making the internet a safer place for everyone.
We’re looking for inspired and motivated technical contributors to join the DigitalOcean team as Security Operations Analyst II. In this role, you will be a key member of DigitalOcean’s security team, reporting to the Manager of Legal Operations inside a virtual SOC. You will improve the security posture of DigitalOcean both reactively and proactively, as well as handling incidents and making the internet a safer place. Security Operations Analysts must excel at identifying risks, building tactical and strategic mitigation plans, and eliminating bad actors inside the DigitalOcean platform.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Developing and owning processes that enforce DigitalOcean's Acceptable Use Policy, which includes incoming reports of copyright, trademark, privacy, data protection, child safety, and various government and regulatory compliance issues.
- Vetting legal claims, content disputes, and takedown requests by responding to reporters and helping good customers get back on the platform.
- Handling customer investigations and triaging corporate alerts, in a customer-facing and transparent manner, to minimize the impact of bad actors on the internet.
- Working with domestic and foreign governments to ensure court orders, subpoenas, and customer data requests are legally sufficient, have proper jurisdiction, and safeguard customer privacy.
- Locating trends in content abuse, communicating with leadership to apprise the extent of issues, and advocating for appropriate product changes to prevent future occurrences.
- Designing and executing department-wide projects that improve the efficiency and quality of work, while reducing legal risk for the company.
- Collaborating with our Legal team to establish guidelines and playbooks our operational, product, sales, and engineering teams can work off of.
- Acting as “point of contact” for incident management and customer escalations, as well as providing data support for critical issues.
- Building strong relationships with the other technical teams across our engineering and infrastructure functions.
- Establishing an understanding of DigitalOcean’s entire production environment, from applications to infrastructure, keeping up-to-date with material changes and future directions.
- Coaching and mentoring other skilled security practitioners across application, information, and infrastructure security.
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in Law Enforcement Response, Emergency Response, Compliance, Privacy, or Risk Management.
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills.
- Subject matter expertise in Law Enforcement Response or intellectual property law, with working knowledge of process, policies, courts, and customer impact.
- Strong analytical skills to determine legal sufficiency, validate claims, spot malicious customer patterns, identify patent trolls, and help customers remove any offending content in an expeditious manner.
- A forward looking perspective on problem solving, tackling each setback with a degree of creativity that uses previous internal/external approaches as a data point, not a rulebook.
- The Intellectual Curiosity and Self-Motivation to perform complex tasks, remain optimistic and passionate about overcoming security obstacles at scale in both reactive and proactive situations.
- A high degree of curiosity and aptitude, with a clear passion for security and the desire to keep our employees, customers, and the internet safe.
- Clear written and verbal communication skills to include; technical writing, presenting, coaching, mentoring.
- Ability to provide and receive clear, direct, and honest feedback for continuous improvement.
- JD, Law Degree, or equivalent
- Ability to code, script, or automate classes of problems rather than handling them manually (Python, Bash, Go, SQL)
- Data analysis skills, including familiarity with relational databases, structured query languages, logging infrastructures, and data visualization tools (eg, looker, grafana)
- Experience performing troubleshooting, investigations, alert triage, or incident response in a hands-on technical capacity
- Understanding of software, systems, and networking; familiarity with distributed computing, virtualization, databases, operating systems, and cloud computing
- Understanding of TCP/IP concepts, network application protocols, database structures, strong working knowledge of Unix/Linux environments
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Security #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Security team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!