Sr. Director, Environmental Sustainability at Rent the Runway
About Rent the Runway:
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Job:
We are looking to bring on an expert to lead RTR’s cross-functional sustainability strategy and execution. This is a newly created role and this person would be tasked with building a team over time.
As Senior Director of Environmental Sustainability, you will be responsible for refining and launching RTR’s long-term sustainability vision and strategy, both internally and externally. You will be in charge of all aspects of RTR’s sustainability programs and planning across the organization, including operations, transportation, inventory and consumer offering, partnering with the appropriate groups across the company to drive execution. This is an exciting role at an exciting time in RTR’s trajectory. You will have the opportunity to shape the future of our product offering, how we communicate it to the world, and how we deliver it to customers.
What You’ll Do:
- Partner with cross-functional business teams to measure RTR’s environmental footprint in day to day operations, including carbon, waste reduction, water and recycling, and develop a comprehensive, long-term sustainability strategy aimed at reducing our impact.
- Manage the data aggregation of sustainability metrics, including carbon emissions, set reduction goals, and manage progress for sustainability reporting, and benchmark against peers where possible.
- Manage the internal/external Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) reporting and communication efforts. Partner with PR team to be the expert in and voice of sustainability for RTR. Lead external sustainability reporting workstreams.
- Evaluate which external reporting RTR should align with, including B corp certification, SASB standard adherence among others
- Collaborate with facilities & project management team to incorporate sustainability into capital projects,including but not limited to water reclamation, solar panels, and 3rd party certifications like LEED or WELL.
- Craft and execute consumer-facing initiatives such as carbon offset programs
- Partner with product & marketing to execute and communicate life cycle assessments
- Identify opportunities, key organizations and partners for RTR to build relationships with and have a voice
- Keep a pulse on sustainability trends in the market and ensure RTR is staying ahead of the trends
- BA/BS required. Advanced degree in sustainability preferred
- 10 + years experience with strong preference for background in sustainability or corporate social responsibility, either in-house or in a consulting capacity.
- Technical knowledge of sustainable fashion concepts including sustainable sourcing and supply chain, textiles, and the circular economy.
- Experience with sustainability reporting, including key frameworks such as GRI, SASB, Integrated Reporting, CDP, Higg Index, etc.
- Understands and incorporates the ESG eco-system of reporting frameworks and communication tools into reports, operating procedures and communication standards
- Strong leadership skills and proven ability to partner with high-performing teams that are cross-functional in nature
- Not afraid to challenge status-quo and champion new ideas and creative approaches to solving business problems
- Possess an entrepreneurial and founder mindset, ready to take on tasks outside of role with strong agility to change and to be flexible/resilient
- Ability to thrive and be resourceful in a fast-paced environment
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the well-being of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.