Strategic Operations Manager at Betterment
Thank you for your interest in joining the team at Betterment! We are all finding ourselves in an uncertain environment given the ongoing developments with Coronavirus (COVID-19). As you know, Betterment’s mission is to empower people to make the most of their money so they can live better, and we maintain that steadfast commitment regardless of market conditions.
We are hiring slowly but thoughtfully at this time. We will be reviewing all applications for each open role on a weekly basis through June, 2020. Given this shift in hiring pace, you may not hear back from us for a few weeks. If your application seems like a good fit for this position, we will contact you in order to schedule a phone interview.About the right team member:
Strategic Operations is a new and growing function at Betterment, driving cross-functional connectivity and owning mission-critical initiatives across the business. Reporting to the Director of Strategic Operations, you will have a 360-degree view of the company, working with Finance, Operations, Marketing, Product, and Analytics to drive the business forward. No day will look the same. You will balance core business operations (supporting strategic planning, board reporting, product roadmapping) with one or more strategic initiatives at a given time. You may be asked to stand up a new business line, lean in as a right hand to our General Managers, or create and own new operational processes. Better yet, you’ll tell us where you see gaps, and proactively move to improve. You’ll become the operational glue connecting the broader organization, and with a hand in every function, you’ll have your pick of opportunities to further grow as a business leader.
We’re looking for an experienced cross-functional leader, comfortable executing in ambiguous situations, and able to quickly come up to speed to work autonomously across a fast-moving organization. Horsepower is critical, but passion for our mission, and a willingness to be flexible in helping us accomplish it, is a must.At Betterment you will get to:
- Own cross-functional and highly visible strategic initiatives – you may work on business cases, research new products, or operationalize a line of business
- Become the connective tissue across the organization. You will be exposed to macro conversations at the highest levels as well as tactical work our squads are driving. You will communicate up, down, and across the organization to ensure we’re all moving in the same direction
- Become a core member of the Strategic Planning team, driving Annual and Quarterly planning and quarterly Board Reporting with the VPs of Strategy and Finance
- Work closely with our General Managers, leaning in as a right hand and partner to support operational strategy and execution across their priorities
- Lead business operations including product roadmapping and monthly reporting
- Frequently communicate with business and product leadership and translate high level conversations into action
- 5-8 years in consulting, banking, operations or product management experience
- History of working directly with C-suite and VP-level executives
- Self-starter with a track record of seamless execution of complex projects with minimal guidance
- Experience structuring, owning and leading large-scale initiatives in a fast-growing, amorphous environment
- Excellent story-telling skills and the written / verbal / PowerPoint chops to back it up
- Strong analytical prowess, including a history of financial analysis or modeling
- Extraordinary relationship building skills and a demonstrated ability to influence and direct others, often without direct reporting authority
- Humility, a team-oriented mindset, and a willingness to roll up your sleeves and dig into the tactical alongside the strategic
- A comfort with ambiguity and fast-pace environments
- Worked in a regulated industry and/or growth-stage company
- Experience in a BizOps or similar function
- Knowledge of SQL
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $22 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 480,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.