(TEMP) Medical Director - NC at Cityblock Health
About Us: #communityhealth
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs, bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs and some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are—bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. We will get started in new markets, each with their own operating structure and care teams, and continue to grow in the communities where we are working already. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To deliver a radically better experience of care to our members and advance equity in the communities we serve, we strive to make our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bridging together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels like they belong, are valued, respected, and celebrated as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About our Team:
We employ a field-based, home-based care model and are committed to meeting members where they are--in their homes, in their community, and in our Hubs. You will go above and beyond to connect with people in a non-judgmental, respectful and empathic manner, to meet their needs, and to provide feedback to the system as a whole as we strive to do better every day.
About the Role:
As an Associate Clinical Director, you will be part of a team of clinical leaders providing direct support to care teams who provide services to members who face economic and social challenges in addition to having mental and physical health needs, through our innovative care model. Your work, and that of the staff you oversee, will frequently take you out into the field and surrounding community. You will also play an important role in developing a proof of concept of our care model and our custom-built care facilitation platform.
You will be responsible for providing medical support to the clinical staff of multiple locations in the market, collaborating with our partners, and participating in the development and refinement of clinical practices and policies. As a participant in your panel’s care team, you will provide clinical support to the care team, including RNs and Community Health Partners, who will serve as a member’s main point-of-contact, and lead the development of a personalized Member Action Plan (MAP). Additionally, you will support quality improvement, monitoring and evaluation of our members, and innovate within Cityblock’s care model.
- Work in a radically different model of healthcare, leveraging expanded care teams, in-person and virtual care models, as well as a proprietary homegrown IT platform for collaborative patient assessment and management
- Expect collaboration, shared-decision making, and partnership across clinical and non-clinical care team members, including our large team of Community Health Partners, RN case managers, and Behavioral Health Specialists
- Co-manage with a panel of complex members in a value-based care environment to provide diagnosis, treatment, counseling, medication management, acute triage and follow up care
- Your work will be centered in our Hub and in the field - extending out in the surrounding neighborhood and community. You will meet people where they are, both physically and emotionally. You can expect at least three days of clinical work as part of you role, ideally rotating through our clinical hubs throughout the state so that you may effectively support and supervise your direct reports
- Your clinical responsibilities will fluctuate according to need on the team and you will be expected to step in where needed to fill clinical gaps.
- You will provide clinical oversight and leadership to Advanced Practice Providers (NPs/PAs), who are managing members with complex physical, cognitive, and behavioral health needs as part of an interdisciplinary care team throughout the state. Oversee the efficiency of care delivery for all of the Pods, including Quality Insurance, supervision of Advanced Practice Providers (NPs/PAs), chart review, and conflict resolution
- You will identify and collaborate closely with existing outpatient behavioral health providers, primary care providers and specialists to promote shared decision making in our member’s health and successfully co-manage (WRAP) members
- You will also have the opportunity to be the Primary Provider for members without identified PCPs and work with members longitudinally to achieve their goals, though your primary responsibility will be to supervise and support APCs in delivering their care
- Be available for triage and case discussion with other clinicians on the care team
- Participate in at least 4 hours/week of strategic, clinical committees meetings and work to support Cityblock’s programs across our markets
- You will be responsible for interviewing applicants for the care team and clinical team
You will work a full-time week. You will also participate in a Saturday Rotation and the Cityblock on-call schedule. Your work may take you outside of normal business hours as urgent member needs arise.
Requirements for the Role:
- You are an independent self-starter, a leader, and a strategic thinker who is excited about the big picture of whole community health, and the ongoing evaluation and iteration of our care model
- AANC or AANP certification for Nurse Practitioners
- Active DEA Controlled Substance Registration or eligible for application
- Certified in Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers
- You are a developing clinical leader, with experience supervising small teams or building programs
- Experience or excitement to provide direct care to underserved populations with complex needs
- You have experience working within an interdisciplinary team
- You thrive in an all-hands on deck model and are able and willing to step in to fill clinical gaps when needed, while working to build systems that minimize these gaps
- You are excited to grow your leadership skills and have demonstrated this through prior experience in development of a program or have supervised other providers
- You are excited about how technology can support your work and help drive the ongoing evaluation toward new, better, care
- Demonstrate proficiency, prior experience, and/or willingness to train in clinical skills such as wound assessment and care, blood drawing (venipuncture & phlebotomy), assessment and care plan reinforcement for common chronic conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, CHF, depression.
- You are comfortable managing patients with complex medical and psychosocial needs
- Utilize our custom-built care facilitation platform, Commons, and the market’s EMR to collect data, document member interactions in the field, organize information, track tasks, and communicate with your team, members, and community resources
- Have proficient experience using and navigating an EMR
How We Define Success: (these are specific to the role, and should tie to performance management)
- Manage a complex population of members in a collaborative, interdisciplinary team model
- Ensure members on your panel receive appropriate care for acute and chronic diseases, including following ED visits and acute admissions
- Manage a primary care and co-management (WRAP) panel of members to address their long and short-term health needs, ultimately to prevent avoidable hospital and Emergency Department visits
- Meet monthly and quarterly targets for visits with Cityblock members, in both clinic and home settings
- Engage in target setting for new clinical initiatives and managing those targets
- Active participation in practice development, redesign, and innovation
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Comfort with practicing and overseeing full-spectrum medicine, including complex disease management, pediatric, and maternity care.
- Experience with quality improvement, monitoring and evaluation, health system strengthening, innovation in care models
- DEA-approved to provide provide buprenorphine treatment for substance use disorder
- Experience with substance use disorder treatment
- Experience caring for individuals experiencing homelessness
- Experiencing caring for individuals with criminal justice involvement
- Experience with home-visiting/care in the field
- Experience with telemedicine
- Comfort using new technologies in healthcare
- Interest or experience in healthcare assessments and evaluation
- Interest or experience in analysis of healthcare data
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.
Covid 19 Update - Please Read: