Virtual Medical Director, Mobile Integrated Care at Cityblock Health
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About our Team:
We employ a field-based, home-based care model and are committed to meeting members where they are--in their homes, in their community, and in our Hubs. You will go above and beyond to connect with Cityblock members in a non-judgmental, respectful and empathic manner, to meet their needs, and to provide feedback to the system as a whole as we strive to do better every day.
Cityblock delivers care where it works best for our members. In addition to our community-based teams, we’ve made our services even stronger for COVID-19 and beyond by adding a Community Rapid Response team and Virtual Care offerings, allowing our members to access care 24/7 via the phone, video, and text message.
As a part of the team, you’ll go above and beyond to connect with members across all of our markets in a respectful and empathic manner to meet their needs and to provide feedback to the system as a whole as we strive to do better every day.
About the Role:
Mobile Integrated Care (MIC) is a medical, behavioral health, and social intervention designed to shift acute and urgent care delivery from the hospital to the home using physicians, specialized EMS providers, and the delivery of home-based medical services in an integrated care model. MIC’s pillars are access, continuity, and trust.
The Medical Director of MIC, reporting to the Head of Acute and Episodic Care, provides leadership for and development and clinical and operational oversight of MIC programs across all Cityblock markets and states. The portfolio includes 24/7 virtual urgent care, mobile emergency department, chronic disease monitoring, home hospital, support for care transitions, and primary care extension services.
This position is responsible for providing clinical leadership of MIC, working closely with the clinical providers, longitudinal clinical care teams, care delivery partners, technology and operations staff, and the care transitions team. S/he will be responsible for program development, hiring medical staff, and supervising the clinicians and staff. S/he will work closely with teams across Cityblock and external applications, with a desire and need to augment acute and urgent care services in the home, such as hospital at home and community paramedicine. S/he will develop KPIs and metrics for success, in line with the financial goals, clinical standards, and objectives of Cityblock.
Requirements for the Role:
- MD or DO degree from an Accredited institution
- Board Certified or Board Eligible in Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, or Emergency Medicine
- You possess a valid State Controlled Substance license and DEA license
- You are interested in attending and leading case conferences and summarizing learnings
- You are passionate about the growing role innovative technology can play in improving access to care and care delivery
- You are an independent self-starter, a leader, and a strategic thinker who is excited about the big picture of whole health, and the ongoing evaluation and iteration of our care model
- You have experience working within an interdisciplinary team
- Work full-time with flexibility for 8 and 12 hour shifts, including some night and weekend call coverage
- Interest and experience in serving complex and vulnerable populations is essential
- Experience with quality improvement, monitoring and evaluation, and health systems strengthening, innovation, and training is desired, although not essential
- Proven skills, knowledge base, and judgment necessary for independent clinical decision-making
- Excellent organizational, time-management, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to function effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team and to independently develop and execute an agenda
- Effective oral and written skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Commitment to social justice in medicine and an understanding of healthcare reform
- Effective teaching and mentorship skills
How We Define Success:
- Deliver acute care for a complex population of members in a collaborative, interdisciplinary team model
- Effective supervision and leadership of clinical care within interdisciplinary team, ensuring highest quality of care
- Ensure members receive appropriate care for acute and chronic diseases
- Collaborate effectively with other Cityblock providers and longitudinal care teams
- Timely documentation and loop closure
- Net promoter score (bedside manner)
- Active participation in virtual urgent care model development, redesign, and innovation
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Experience providing virtual care services, either over chat, video or phone
- Experience with home-based care models
- Cross-licenced in multiple states (highest priority for NY, MA, NC)
- Comfort using new technologies
- Experience performing bedside ultrasounds
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.