Virtual Member Advocate at Cityblock Health
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About our Team:
We employ a field-based, home-based care model and are committed to meeting members where they are--in their homes, in their community, and in our Hubs. You will go above and beyond to connect with Cityblock members in a non-judgmental, respectful and empathic manner, to meet their needs, and to provide feedback to the system as a whole as we strive to do better every day.
Cityblock delivers care where it works best for our members. In addition to our community-based teams, we’ve made our services even stronger for COVID-19 and beyond by adding a Community Rapid Response team and Virtual Care offerings, allowing our members to access care 24/7 via the phone, video, and text message.
As a part of the team, you’ll go above and beyond to connect with members across all of our markets in a respectful and empathic manner to meet their needs and to provide feedback to the system as a whole as we strive to do better every day.
About the Role:
The Cityblock Virtual Hub delivers integrated primary and acute medical care, behavioral health and social care, powered by relationships and designed to advance equity in access and outcome. By delivering these acute and longitudinal services in-home through a combination of digital and in-person connections, we can allow members to stay at home and out of the hospital.
As an additional service in support of our local Hubs, we provide trusted, quick, and convenient wrap around front desk support like scheduling, consenting, initial assessments, and more.
This role is far more than the usual “customer service” job. You will be an early-stage member of our Virtual Integrated Health Center, a virtual contact center with a distributed team where you will be placing calls to, and fielding calls from, Cityblock members around the country.
This role will be the first welcome for the caller on behalf of Cityblock. You will orient members to our care model and field inquiries, concerns, and requests. You will instill loyalty and trust by anticipating member needs, conveying genuine interest and empathy, building trust, and providing accurate and efficient services to all members and other callers. You may complete a screening questionnaire with members, verify their insurance, schedule appointments, connect to a clinician on-call, and/or research inquiries with excellent engagement and problem-solving skills. You will use Commons, Cityblock’s care facilitation system, and other tools, to provide best-in-class customer service. You will make sure that, regardless of the circumstances, members are treated with respect and dignity, and always feel welcome to give Cityblock a ring.
In addition, you will be trained on outreach projects to help educate members on our virtual services, coordinate verbal and electronic consents to treat, conduct assessments, and schedule appointments for members with our Virtual Community Health Partners and providers.
Requirements for the Role:
- You are passionate about improving health care delivery
- You love serving customers, and want to pursue your profession in a positive environment working on meaningful problems that change lives
- You have excellent communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with members, member support systems, and care teams
- You have experience with helping people to navigate complex topics and decisions, especially in the direct provision of services
- You are compassionate, open-minded, patient and non-judgemental
- You have the ability to think quickly and solve problems in the moment
- You are emotionally-resilient and can successfully interact with customers in various emotional states
- You have a passion for working to improve the community you are a part of, or have been a part of in the past
- You are excited about how technology can support your work and help drive the ongoing evolution toward a new and better health care system
How We Define Success:
- Deliver best-in-class member care and experience in a way that builds trust and loyalty
- Respond to inquiries from members and other callers regarding our services, appointments, referrals, provider messages, and prescription refills
- Handle emergency calls, offer initial crisis management, and escalate as appropriate
- Work collaboratively with care team members in the field
- Coordinate referral management with hub team and providers to ensure optimal access to primary and specialty care
- Facilitate enrollment of new members to Cityblock
- Connect members with community-based organizations
Nice to Have (But Not Required):
- 1+ years of call center experience (inbound and/or outbound)
- 1+ years of customer service experience
- Experience in the healthcare industry
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.