The Trade Desk is changing the way global brands and their agencies advertise to audiences around the world. How? With a media-buying platform that helps brands deliver a more insightful and relevant ad experience for consumers — and sets a new standard for global reach, accuracy, and transparency.
So if you’re talented, driven, creative, and hungry to bring something entirely new and wildly ambitious into the world (and have some fun doing it), then we want to talk.
The VP of Corporate Development will work with The Trade Desk’s (TTD) leadership team to help identify and evaluate potential product, innovation, investment and/or acquisitions opportunities across all of TTD’s geographies. By developing a deep understanding of TTD’s products and culture, identifying industry trends, and maintaining strong relationships with startups, VCs and bankers, you will play a pivotal role in helping TTD develop medium and long-term strategies that help us stay on the leading edge of market opportunities. In this role, you will be responsible for sourcing world-class companies, technology, and talent, leading cross-functional exploratory teams, and negotiating, structuring, executing, and integrating impactful acquisitions. This is a unique opportunity to develop and lead a high-impact workstream situated at the nexus of product, engineering, people, and broader strategic efforts at TTD. A successful candidate will not only be data-driven and analytical, but just as importantly will be able to build relationships internally and externally, manage the nuances of negotiation, and have the emotional intelligence to evaluate people. Reporting to the SVP, FP&A you will work very closely with our most senior leaders (e.g. CEO, CFO, COO, CTO and CRO) and across the industry as the single-threaded leader managing all stages of the evaluation, acquisition and integration processes related to Corporate Development.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Work closely with executive leadership to establish the Corporate Development function at TTD
- Partner with product management, technology and client teams to develop robust strategic growth roadmaps that consider organic (product, innovation) and inorganic growth opportunities (M&A, JVs, venture capital, etc.) in existing and adjacent markets that accelerate TTD’s mission
- Collaborate with leaders to think about corporate development opportunities in a progressive, systematic and routine fashion; keep an ongoing flow of ideas that is aligned with the Company’s objectives
- Build the corporate development pipeline by managing inbound inquiries and sourcing new opportunities
- Critically review and assess market structure, customer workflow and needs, and trends & drivers influencing market size, growth, profitability, comparative advantages and risks
- Establish and maintain relationships with senior executives from startups, VCs, banks, and leading technology companies to inform product strategy and stay up-to-date with competitive landscape
- Partner with business leaders before, during and after the M&A processes, to ensure deals make strategic sense, fit with forward-looking business plans, and are integrated smoothly and fully optimized, including identifying and managing towards key milestones & KPIs
- Steward internal and BOD decision making processes, including valuation, leadership of target engagement and deal process, and management of transactions from inception through deal structuring, negotiation, diligence, and close
- Lead cross-functional teams in developing acquisition business case analyses and executing and interfacing with finance, accounting, legal, tax, HR and other departments to ensure seamless deal execution
- Manage operational and financial integration of acquired businesses, including leading cross-departmental teams and measuring ongoing success
- Collaborate across functions to support the annual business planning process and ensure that long-term strategies are woven into actionable annual and long range plans
WHO YOU ARE:
- 15+ years of progressively responsible transaction experience in corporate development at growing technology companies
- Deep understanding of advertising technology and/or software markets, trends, and dynamics
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous high-priority projects (often including project management of cross-functional teams)
- Proven subject matter expertise in all aspects of the M&A process including valuation, deal structuring, negotiation, execution of deals, and integration planning
- Strong business and financial acumen to facilitate strategic planning, business reviews, market and opportunity assessments, and financial analysis of opportunities
- Excellent executive presence and leadership skills to effectively work cross functionally in the organization, with a track record of building collaborative relationships with team members (peers, staff, executive level, and Board of Directors)
- Exceptionally strong personal initiative and comfort with ambiguity
- Ability to balance the possibility of completing transactions with an understanding that organic growth may prove both achievable and successful
- Master's degree in Business Administration/related field strongly preferred
The Trade Desk does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firm recruiters. Fees will not be paid in the event a candidate submitted by a recruiter without an agreement in place is hired; such resumes will be deemed the sole property of The Trade Desk. The Trade Desk is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.