Stash is pioneering the future of personal finance with the first financial subscription that helps people create better lives. From budgeting to saving for retirement, Stash unites banking, investing, and advice all in one app that has helped more than 5M people reach their financial goals and make progress towards financial freedom.
We are seeking a VP of Fraud to reduce liability and risk to the company while also protecting our customers. You will report to the President and will manage a small team while also leading a cross functional group of people towards a common objective. You’ll work closely with key partners in Product, Engineering, Compliance, Data Security, Data Science and Customer Experience to establish tools and protocols necessary to manage fraud and financial risk.
You’ll have three key areas of responsibility:
Establish Policy and Governance: Recognizing the dynamic needs between customer acquisition and protection, will establish policies, thresholds, and protocols in partnership with compliance, security and CX.
Monitoring and Investigations: Using best in class tools and in partnership with security and data science/ data modeling, will build protocols to monitor and identify fraudulent behaviors, prevent criminal activity, and ensure a delightful journey for good customers. Will rapidly investigate and resolve any suspicious activity.
Fraud Prevention: Bringing deep subject matter expertise and the ability to partner with Product and Brokerage Operations to develop the processes and tools necessary to prevent fraud with vendors, the onboarding process and money movement. Work with the product and engineering teams to ensure fraud and security tools are prioritized on the product roadmap and to detect and prevent fraud in all new releases.
What you’ll do:
- Protecting Stash. Overarching accountability for fraud prevention and minimizing loss while ensuring a positive customer experience
- Establish risk tolerance and thresholds for customer acquisition and blocking/ unblocking of accounts
- Create governance model to ensure understanding and alignment across all stakeholders
- Own and manage investigations to resolve systemic and individual fraud activities
- Own monitoring. Partners with Data Science on modeling.
- Establish and implement best practices and tools, assess processes, tools, outsourcing and other methods to ensure our protocols stay current.
- Collaborate with Compliance to ensure compliance with AML policies and procedures
- Minimizes fraud in product design and releases. Partners with Product leads to assess fraud potential on product roadmap. Ensure Fraud is part of QA process and peer reviews before product releases
- Partner with Product Management teams to guide roadmap prioritization and development
- Vendor management of fraud related issues
- Establish best practices, KPI metrics and reporting
- Point of escalation
What we’re looking for:
- Deep subject matter expertise and 10+ years of fraud experience in a consumer driven, financial environment.
- Active learner bringing new and emerging technologies, tools and methodologies to continuously improve our results and address new and ever changing fraudulent schemes.
- Understanding of financial crimes, regulations, technology, and risk.
- Expert collaboration skills and ability to influence without direct authority.
- Ability to lead to decisions balancing decisiveness with an engaging approach, and considering multiple, sometimes competing, perspectives.
- Data driven in all aspects of work from modeling and detection through to reporting. Strong analytical skills with complex models and problem solving skills.
- Strong communication skills to effectively and transparently communicate and mobilize all levels and functions of Stash.
- Understanding of product development lifecycle and customer experience.
- Player-coach who can jump in and actively investigate issues through to resolution.
We believe that diversity and inclusion are essential to living our values, promoting innovation, and building the best products out there. Our success is directly related to the employees that we hire, grow and retain and we believe that our team should reflect the diversity of the customers that we serve.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Stash is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by law. Everyone is encouraged to apply.
Benefits & Perks:
- Equity in Stash
- Flexible Vacation
- Family-Friendly Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Plans
- Learning & Development Stipend
- Commuter Benefits and Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee referral bonuses
- Stocked fridges & kitchens and catered lunch on Fridays
- Thursday happy hours
- Team outings that do not involve trust falls...
Awards & Recognition:
- Forbes Fintech 50 (2019)
- LendIt Fintech Innovator of the Year (2019)
- Built in NYC's Best Places to work (2019)
- Built in NYC’s Startups to Watch (2018)
- Wall Street Journal's "Top 25 Tech Companies To Watch" (2018)
- MarCom Awards Double Gold & Platinum Winner (2018)
- Webby Award Winner for Best Mobile Sites & Apps in the Financial Services and Banking category (2017)
- W3 Awards Winner for Best User Experience (2017)
**No recruiters, please.