VP of Retail Development
Greater NYC Area
Candid™ is helping people get the smiles they always wanted at prices they can afford. By simplifying the process (direct-to-consumer) and reducing costs (by up to 65% less), we can help more people feel confident and healthy. We believe that high quality dental care should be affordable and accessible to all, and we're using modern software practices to diagnose, treat, and monitor orthodontic cases. Our team is a group of startup veterans with experience across healthcare, hospitality, tech, and finance at companies such as Lyft, Squarespace, WeWork, Blue Apron, and Clover Health.
We are looking for a VP of Retail Development to join the Candid™ team to who will be responsible for building and managing three distinct functions: the team that handles site selection, broker and landlord communications, lease negotiation, and financial planning; the construction and architecture organization; lastly, you will handle that team that runs ongoing facilities.
You’ll report directly into the Chief Growth Officer, and partner cross-functionally across the organization and with key outside stakeholders. The role is based in New York City.
What You’ll Do
- Spearhead our high-level strategy for rolling out and managing a nationwide network of retail intra-oral scanning centers
- Manage a real estate team that will select, negotiate, and execute all LOI and lease negotiations in partnership with our Finance and Legal teams
- Successfully monitor the process from site selection to lease signing to design to construction. Ensure external parties’ work moves in step with Candid’s internal teams and that any roadblocks are resolved swiftly
- Ensure there is a real estate inventory pipeline in anticipation of rapid growth in new areas
- Responsible for building a team to coordinate design and construction activities to include, but not limited to, architect, contractor and consultant solicitation, selection and contracting, design and construction document review, and construction management and administration.
- Build a facilities’ team to be responsible for all Candid facilities, including improvements, grounds and plantings, utilities, mechanical/electrical systems, equipment and oversight of external vendors to reduce cost and ensure efficiency.
What You’ll Need
- 10+ years of experience working in real estate, construction and facilities management, at least 5 years in-house, including considerable “in the field” experience. Experience in retail operations a plus
- Track record of navigating leases from proposals and LOIs through final execution
- Strong understanding of post lease work including coordinating architects, bidding GCs, construction, project management, and general build-out processes
- Must have the experience and ability to lead a large scale, ground-up development and construction projects from inception through construction and final move-in.
- Superb project management abilities, with a history of keeping complex projects moving
- Financial modeling skills and understanding of real estate costs and pro forma sensitivities
- Highly self-motivated and entrepreneurial leader who thrives in high-pressure, high-urgency situations
- Ruthless prioritizer, with ability to adjust priorities on the fly as business needs evolve
- Proven team builder and networker with demonstrated ability to manage, build, and oversee internal and third party teams
- Ability to travel up to 50% of working time
Pay & Perks
- Competitive compensation and equity in the business
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Easy access to work - across the street from 4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, R, W trains, and around the block from the F and M
- Commuter benefits
- Significant discount on our customized treatment plans and aligners
- You will grow a lot here. You’ll be surrounded by employees with deep experience in their field, who have a strong passion for doing great work and constantly learning
We continuously strive to create and maintain a diverse and inclusive environment, and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Additionally, this organization participates in E-Verify.
Read Full Job Description