VP, Social Impact at DigitalOcean
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are passionate about building programs to empower and give back to the communities in which we serve and operate to drive social progress and business.
We are looking for a creative, engaging, and results-oriented leader to build out our global social impact programs. Reporting directly to the CMO, this is a strategic role within DigitalOcean that’s focused on continuing the momentum DigitalOcean already has experienced with Hollie’s Hub for Good and our recent Pledge 1% commitment, while building out additional aspects of our social impact strategy: giving initiatives, employee engagement, go-to-market planning, internal and external campaigns, educational initiatives, and so much more.
The VP of Social Impact will, in collaboration with senior leaders across the organization, design an overarching strategy for corporate citizenship, lead the development of new and existing programs, mobilize the organization on issues that impact the company and the community, and serve as a champion inside the company and to external audiences. DigitalOcean’s corporate social impact program will include connecting our technology platform, people, and company assets to nonprofits, putting our resources to work to enable them to mission.
As a VP of Social Impact, you will own the positioning strategy for our giving program, develop educational content to inform our employees of their impact, create volunteer and engagement opportunities, seek and develop relationships with partners, and regularly report to the leadership team on program goals and results.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Strategy: Build out global social impact strategy based on alignment between values of the business and benefit to the community.
- Reporting: Develop appropriate goals and metrics and process for measuring the company’s performance with respect to corporate citizenship.
- Industry Trends: Advise the company’s leadership on global best practices with respect to social impact. Understand the strategies, policies, and programs of other companies. Stay informed of current trends and results of new approaches to social impact.
- External Communication: Partner with content and comms team to create compelling content and storytelling campaigns.
- Partnerships: Design and execute on partnerships that address issues of strategic alignment and importance. Collaborate with corporate and non-profit partners and align internal resources.
- Budgeting/Compliance: Develop and maintain an operating budget. Assess, prioritize, monitor and address potential business risks/legal compliance with respect to corporate responsibility.
- Employee Engagement: Educate internal and external stakeholders to the importance and benefits of programs implemented, activate engagement across the entire organization—at every level, in every department—through meaningful community contributions.
- Go to Market: Oversee all efforts to expand the use of the platform by non-profits.
- Green Initiatives: Analyze DigitalOcean’s current business practices and identify key areas/create programs to decrease impact on the environment
- Senior-level leader with significant experience (15 years+) and previous management responsibility for issues and activities related to corporate citizenship and social impact in a global corporate setting.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills to influence and build credibility; team oriented, collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible
- Can establish clear priorities, drive alignment and execution across multiple functions within an organization.
- Seasoned in the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, business analysis, finance, information systems and marketing
- Sophisticated understanding of the social impact landscape, key global issues and best practices, along with knowledge of the roles of private, non-profit, and public sectors.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate trends and issues in business and society that affect the company’s social impact agenda and reputation.
- Excellent written communications skills; excellent oral skills, including public speaking, meeting facilitation, and presentations.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data; strong business and financial acumen.
- Ability to constructively challenge conventional ways of thinking, introduce new ideas, and communicate effectively with senior leaders.
- Relevant technology industry experience, including a demonstrable understanding of how technology intersects issues of public good and corporate citizenship.
- Bonus: nonprofit experience.
- Excellent reputation for integrity and judgment
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Marketing #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Marketing team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!