VP, Strategy & Operations at theSkimm
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
The VP of Strategy & Operations is a critical role in the continued growth of theSkimm. Reporting into the President, this role will ensure theSkimm creates a vision and strategy that continues to push it into the phase of its growth. Additionally, and importantly, the VP of Strategy and Operations will also ensure that the company is functioning optimally to achieve that vision and associated goals.
This is a key leadership role that will work closely with the entire leadership and executive layer here at theSkimm. Teamwork is essential and you will find a group of talented and collaborative people.
If you are strategic, highly organized, goal-orientated and are excited about having a real impact on a company’s future, this job might just be for you.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Identify and monitor the key market and competitive trends
- Drive highly visible strategic projects, working cross-functionally to structure problems, analyze opportunities, and develop solutions and actionable recommendations and results through a rigorous, data-driven process
- Oversee and lead the scoping of high priority, complex, executive sponsored projects end-to-end and secure stakeholder and working team engagement and alignment up front.
- Outline business opportunity, rationale, and execution plans to achieve the vision for the opportunity including product, GTM strategies, and business model (reviewing and leading the team through the business scorecard process)
- Identify & evaluate business expansion opportunities, alternative business models, and non-traditional growth opportunities. This may include identifying new customer segments, markets, products, or partnerships to drive long term, sustainable growth.
- Provide support to President & CFO on annual strategic planning process
- Implement efficient and effective processes to drive annual and quarterly planning and to develop our annual, 3-year and 5-year strategic plans to grow the business
- Work closely with the VP of Finance on the creation of the quarterly board deck
- Lead the OKR process, working closely with the VP of Finance, building business-wide OKRs as well as Sub-KRs at the team level that ladder up to the business OKRs.
- Working with department heads, monitor and ensure OKRs are being met and problem-solve where necessary.
- Manage leadership team meeting, reporting mechanisms and forums, driving the operational cadence for the group, ensuring key takeaways keep momentum and are followed through on
- Work closely with all teams to understand breakage points and bottlenecks in day-to-day work and continuously problem solve through process improvements and ad-hoc blocking and tackling (where and when it makes sense)
- Work closely with the data team to monitor key performance metrics and partner with leadership to ensure we are on track to hit our targets. Proactively raise risks to achieving our quarterly and annual targets, roadmaps and facilitate stakeholder discussions to develop a new plans
- Act as the key operator responsible for overseeing the operations and processes for new initiative highly cross-functional teams and squads
- Manage the planning and project retrospective (“scorecard” and post-mortems) process across the organisation, working closely with department heads
- Ensure and monitor execution of strategic planning process once it enters execution phase
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 10+ years of total experience
- 5+ years experience in consulting or operations
- Experience in a consumer-focused (DTC) or media company
- Experience in a planning capacity (EG Project planning)
- Experience in a strategy department or strategic role
- Proven track record of process and operational improvements
- Extremely well organized
- Very quantitative in approach and able to blend that with forward-thinking and business acumen
- Strong understanding of OKRs and the OKR process (Experience in running or being heavily involved in a company OKR process is a plus)
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives. Since launching in 2012, theSkimm has become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimm’rs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way its audience consumes news and makes decisions. theSkimm's flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, and the company continues to innovate, finding new ways to Skimm everything from finance and careers to voting, wellness and downtime. theSkimm’s product suite has expanded to include two top-rated podcasts, “Skimm This'' and “Skimm’d From the Couch,” theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money and Press Pause newsletters, a new virtual course series called SkimmU, and Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video and audio content. theSkimm’s first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 and debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And we’re not done. By continuing to grow the breadth of theSkimm offerings in the life’s necessity categories and expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content and audio, theSkimm ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation -- and the ones that follow -- in the most critical areas of their lives. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.