Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open-source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?About the Role
Cockroach Labs is growing quickly! We are looking for an experienced Workplace Operations Lead to lead our office operations at Cockroach Labs’ headquarters in New York City while also providing facilities planning and management for our global offices. As part of the Workplace Experience and Operations team, you will take an ownership role in workplace operations and global facilities management, including establishing workplace vendor relations, assisting in office build projects, real estate management, facilities systems management, global space planning and co-working platform management. You will work closely with the Workplace Administrative team to ensure consistency and facilities support standards are met across offices as well as the Culture Operations team to help facilitate company-wide events. In addition to being organized and analytical, you possess the strong business judgement and communication skills needed to interact with a variety of people and job functions both internally and externally.
You must be based in New York for this role.You Will
- Develop the facilities workplace experience guidelines for all Cockroach Labs offices, creating a positive workplace experience in-office and remotely.
- Oversee the New York workplace operations, space planning, and workplace project management working regularly with business unit key stakeholders.
- Ensure the office's effectiveness, which includes but is not limited to keeping all office equipment up-to-date and managing installations and repairs.
- Engage with employees and managers to ensure their workplace needs are met, identify new initiatives to elevate the employee experience both in the physical office and those working from home.
- Serve as the New York onsite and senior global point of contact for vendors, including catering, cleaning services, electricians/plumbers and all contractors needed to run the office. Research vendor options and aid in the negotiation process.
- Coordinate with the Culture Operations team to assist with on-site event coordination including A/V, catering needs, cleaning and security.
- Ensure that the workplace supports the health and safety of all employees and visitors and that all activities are in accordance with local law and code.
- Support all project and workplace planning teams for construction and move projects.
- Recognize opportunities to reduce maintenance expenses and ensure documentation and contracts are organized and systematically reviewed.
- Manage all service contracts such as shipping, security, pest control and cleaning.
- Provide workplace budget preparation and financial planning.
In your first 30 days, you will work closely with the Sr. Manager, Workplace Experience and Operations and familiarize yourself with office and facilities management responsibilities, including understanding of office build-out projects and workplace management systems.
After 30 days, you will have built connections with department leads. During your second month, you will better understand specific departmental initiatives and goals and build relationships with core team members. You will start to work with key stakeholders in all office build-out projects and take over aspects of these projects. You will understand all key workplace initiatives and start planning for office re-entry including vendor bidding, contract negotiations and helping build facilities guidelines.
After 90 days, you will be fully integrated onto the Cockroach Labs team. You will be overseeing aspects of all office build-out projects and working closely with vendors and key stakeholders to ensure the successful launch of the new office spaces in New York, San Francisco, Toronto, and London. You will have assisted with the implementation of space and facilities management software as well as a co-working platform trial for remote employees.
Lastly, you will be coordinating vendor onboarding and maintenance for the global offices re-entry.You Have
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of workplace and facilities management experience.
- A resourceful and intuitive approach to problem-solving.
- Experience working across multiple office locations.
- Experience with vendor management including bidding and contract negotiations
- The ability to organize projects and multi-task responsibilities, working independently and across a diverse range of people and job functions.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt to various personalities.
- The expectation of complete confidentiality on all business matters.
- The ability to be a team player and pitch in to help team members meet deadlines; comfortable in a fast-paced environment with constant changes.
- Confident with a positive and friendly demeanor and/or customer service experience.
Reporting to Kitty Bromhead - Sr. Manager, Workplace Operations and Experience
Kitty focuses on creating the best possible workplace culture and experience across the Cockroach Labs team. Originally from New Zealand, she has run operations for renewable energy companies around the globe before moving into workplace operations in the tech industry in New York. A keen snowboarder and explorer, you can now find Kitty adventuring around New York’s playgrounds with her two young kids.Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support