Database Administrator (PostgreSQL)
Paxful is a leading peer-to-peer powered bitcoin marketplace and a universal money translator. Our mission is social justice through financial freedom worldwide. By offering a platform with over 300 financial networks that empowers both merchants and buyers alike, we have created opportunities for millions across the globe who don’t have access to traditional banking services.
Paxful was founded in 2015 and has an established headquarters in New York, with offices in Estonia, Hong Kong and the Philippines. Currently, we have over 200 dedicated employees globally and are growing rapidly. We have millions of users, a strong business model, and are completely bootstrapped. One of our pillars is giving back to the communities we help through initiatives such as #BuiltWithBitcoin. You’ll be joining an international team that seeks to make real, sustainable change in the world.
Paxful teams tend to have:
- An open mind: We believe that change and new ideas are exciting, not threatening.
- A proactive attitude: We’re willing and ready to roll up our sleeves and take responsibility.
- Accountability: As colleagues, we take care of each other and our work.
- Self-direction: We figure out solutions on our own and take charge of carrying them out.
- An adaptive mindset: We shift our processes, perspectives, and working styles along with the environment.
- Passion: We feel driven by being part of the mission.
Sound like a fit?
We are looking for a PostgreSQL Database Administrator who will be responsible for managing and tuning high-availability PostgreSQL databases associated with heavily loaded web and mobile applications as well as providing recommendations for improvements and optimization for current and future designs. Working with the DevOps and Product teams at the New York office, you will assist in developing data migrations, writing SQL and reports, and mentoring other engineers with optimizing and writing efficient queries.
What you will be doing:
- Develop and proactively review the monitoring of PostgreSQL database production
- Participate in database design and data modeling and provide recommendations for improvement or optimizations
- Provide query/index optimizations
- Ensure database availability and performance
- Mentor other engineers in developing efficient SQL queries
- Prepare automation related to database deployment and migrations
What you will bring to the table:
- 3+ years experience in administrating and tuning Amazon RDS
- Understanding of PostgreSQL replication techniques, data warehouse design, performance troubleshooting
- Experience with high availability and disaster recovery techniques
- Experience with database management in the microservice architecture
- Experience with automation tools based on Ansible/Terraform/scripts to manage databases and migrations
Ideally, you also have:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
- Past experience with other database technologies such as No SQL database systems is a plus
- Experience with the CI/CD solutions
- Experience or interest in cryptocurrency, blockchain and/or financial technology
- Healthcare insurance, including dental and vision
- Catered lunch and dinner daily, with premium snacks
- Gym membership of your choice and personal training sessions
- Sports nutrition and supplements, massages and chiropractor sessions
- Training and professional development resources
- Paid company events and retreats
- Generous paid time off
- Paid maternity/paternity leave including a one-time bonus to support newborn
- Commuter benefits
- 401(k) with company matching
- Accessible office in the West Village
- Flexible hours