Director of Data Products
At Rent the Runway, our mission is to make women feel empowered and self-confident every single day by combining best in class technology, logistics, and customer service. Since our launch in 2009, we’ve developed proprietary technology, a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation, stores of the future, a viral brand, relationships with hundreds of fashion designers - and we are passionate about continuing to innovate our customer experience. We have pioneered the closet in the cloud and believe that every person globally will soon have a subscription to fashion. We are proud to be both a profitable and fast-growing business, with 11 million members of our community who believe that rental is the future.
About the Role:
This is one of the critical leadership roles at RTR, a data-driven company that is changing the way women get dressed. In this role, you will manage all data product efforts across the business - consumer/website, marketing, operations, and inventory. You will grow and manage a team of data scientists who have technical savvy and the ability to understand how their work drives business results. You will partner with C-level executives and the rest of senior leadership to shape and support our data strategy and develop a roadmap for internal and customer facing data products.
What You’ll Do:
- Grow the Data Science team by hiring talented candidates and developing leadership and deep expertise in the team
- Provide hands-on technical guidance to challenging data science problems faced by the team on a day-to-day basis
- Translate business requirements to data science problems and lead the team to deliver best in class solutions on startup timelines
- Partner with stakeholders across merchandising, product, operations, marketing, and engineering teams to identify high impact opportunities to leverage data to better serve our users
- Develop our long term data products roadmap across multiple dimensions including personalization, demand forecasting, inventory allocation and transportation network optimization.
- Drive tangible business impact across Rent the Runway far beyond research and analytics
- Solidify data as a competitive moat for Rent the Runway
- You have a strong academic background in a quantitative field, for example mathematics, physics, computer science, engineering, statistics, etc.
- You have previous experience managing and growing a team of data scientists
- You have designed and lead data science initiatives in the past
- You are technically strong and have built machine learning based data products yourself.
- You posses the rare ability to understand data deeply AND be able to explain it clearly in non-technical terms.
- If you have experience in a subscription business that is a plus.
- You are eager to roll up your sleeves and dig into any problem in a fast-paced startup environment.
- You have a strong ability to understand business priorities, recognize leverage in data science projects, and prioritize appropriately.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun! .
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.