Director of Product Management, Fraud at Betterment
Betterment is a technology-driven financial services company that offers services for spending and saving, alongside its core investing and retirement solutions. Since 2010, Betterment has had one mission: to help people make the most of their money so they can live better lives. Using cutting-edge technology, Betterment empowers its hundreds of thousands of customers to manage their money – for today, tomorrow, and someday – through personalized, expert advice; automated money management tools; and tax-smart strategies that help keep taxes low. Learn more www.betterment.com.About the Role:
Betterment’s mission is to empower people to do what’s best for their money so that they can live better. You will be responsible for ensuring that Betterment can deliver on that mission to its customers by preventing bad actors from opening accounts and abusing our products.
You are a talented and focused product manager, with significant experience and expertise in fraud prevention. You understand current trends in fraud, and how to combat them. You are a natural collaborator and love being part of a cross-functional team. You relish rolling up your sleeves and solving problems, working with engineers, designers, and data analysts. You can build effective, high-performing relationships with technical and strategic partners outside the company. You are masterful in prioritizing effectively and making tradeoffs across a range of tasks and initiatives. You live for iteration and know that the job of building software is never done.
You rapidly build rapport with people and teams and are respected by peers as a strong and honest partner. You are passionate about building a customer-centric business that will impart lasting change to the financial services sector.
Your closest stakeholders will work out of our NYC and Philly offices, but we are open to a remote hire for this role. We are hiring in all states except CO.A Day in the Life:
- You will analyze and identify fraud vectors and related operational risks across Betterment products
- Research, advocate for, and decide appropriate preventative measures
- Implement technical solutions to fraud management, working both with external vendors and internal data and engineering resources
- Iterate on fraud prevention implementations, as well as manage and groom a backlog of improvements and new features
- Partner with operations to understand key fraud risks and identify ways to mitigate those risks through customer-centric product design
- Develop, monitor, and report on key fraud and abuse metrics related to Betterment’s various product features, such as card fraud, remote deposits, ACH, account takeover, check kiting, and identity theft
- Be part of a team dedicated to internal tooling and have managerial responsibilities for one product manager
- Have a direct impact on key business results every day
- Deep experience in fraud prevention or related experience at a consumer-facing company
- The ability to act as a product manager in a consumer technology company employing Agile (or similar) product development practices
- At least working knowledge of bank deposit operations, brokerage, or other regulation within financial services
- Strong analytical abilities with a passion for data-informed decision making
- Excellent judgment and the ability to balance fraud mitigation strategies with customer growth
- Ability to build strong relationships across functions within an organization
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 8 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 4-6 weeks to complete the interview process. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.#LI-Remote #BI-Remote