Director Product Management - Research Products at CB Insights
Client-focused. Refine and scale. Research our clients love.
CB Insights is looking for a Director/ Sr. Director of Research Products: A client-focused, hands-on leader who will refine and scale research our clients love
First, some data on the growth of CB Insights.
- 2015 - 66 teammates
- 2016 - 104 teammates
- 2017 - 168 teammates
- 2018 - 209 teammates
- 2019 - 292 teammates
- Today - 300+ and growing
Over that same period, our revenue has grown 800% into the very healthy 8-figures. Underpinning this growth is the CB Insights Technology Intelligence platform, the foundation of our client relationships.
A critical component of the CB Insights offering is our emerging technology research, offered via our technology platform. Our research builds on our data to provide the insights that drive technology decision-making for our clients, which include the world’s largest corporations, venture capital firms, and private equity companies.
As we continue to rapidly scale and invest in our teams and products, we are looking to hire a Director of Research Products at CB Insights. This individual will be a part of our Product team and work closely with our Intelligence Unit [our research analyst team] to create and scale compelling research that helps our clients discover, understand, and manage their technology decisions. As a part of the product team, the overarching goal is to make CB Insights the indispensable platform for them.
The Role You’ll Play:
CB Insights has a unique opportunity to expand the influence of its research by productizing our research to achieve greater scale and consistency. You will lead efforts to create indispensable research products our clients will use to make technology decisions. In particular, defining frameworks and formats, creating systems and processes to enable our analysts to quickly compile reports, and mapping output to customer needs will be core components of the role.
You will work within the CB Insights product team and have access to our product and developer expertise. The successful candidate will be able to work across teams, as you will build on the work of our Intelligence Unit to hone existing research formats into market-defining methodologies and products. These need to be of high value, easy to digest, visual, and scalable in their production.
A few samples of our existing research are available at https://www.cbinsights.com/research/.
About the product team and your role:
We recognize that Product teams look and feel different in every company, and so it’s important to first describe the principles that drive success for the Product team as a whole. These are:
- An obsessive focus on the customer
- Knowing the difference between what we should do vs. what we can do
- Understanding that strategy is only as good as the execution - and vice versa
How these principles apply to the Director of Research Products is detailed below.
- An obsessive focus on the customer: In order to develop the right research products, a cogent understanding of the most important customer needs and how CBI’s data and research can help address them will be critical. The ability to quickly develop an understanding of specific insights tech. buyers are looking for will help drive success in the role.
- Knowing the difference between what we should do vs. what we can do: While there are many interesting research products that can be developed, staying hyper-focused on ones that address clear use-cases, are scalable, and are differentiated matters.
- Understanding that strategy is only as good as the execution - and vice versa: This role is about both decision-making, and ensuring execution. You will be responsible for defining the research product vision and working with our resources to execute against it.
Your Main Tasks:
- Become thoroughly familiar with clients’ needs through research: conducting interviews, digging into data, and in dialogue with our account managers and executives
- Achieve a deep understanding of the competitive landscape for research products and services impacting critical tech decision-making
- Plan an ongoing strategy for identifying target markets and client segments, developing hypotheses around meeting market needs, and a path to scale
- Design research products with an eye to data capture, i.e. those that will help clients but also bring in data to strengthen core CB Insights data sets
- Test and iterate on survey based approaches to drive research product enrichment
- Work at a fast pace to test, learn, and refine: collaborate with analyst team to build prototypes, QA, and test with clients
- Work with marketing, customer success, and sales to devise go-to market plans and tactics
- Help the Intelligence Unit document, ensure consistency, and scale successful products
- Work with the rest of product team for opportunities to integrate our research with software tools and data
- If you are successful, you will also build a team around you to focus on research products
What you bring to the table:
- 7+ years building information, research, or data-based products
- Strong track record of achievement in developing research, information, or data products
- Demonstrated ability to work cross functionally
- Proven experience serving as a decision-maker and operating independently
- Strong Project Management skills with the ability to move quickly and discard what is not working
- Knowledge of research methodologies and formats a helpful plus
- Familiarity with B2B technology decisions and buyer intent a helpful plus
- Excellent writing, communication and presentation skills
- Self-starter with the ability to be resourceful and the ability to work under pressure
What’s CB Insights All About:
The CB Insights platform is the smartest way to explore and exploit emerging technologies. We help the world’s leading companies accelerate their digital strategy and transformation with data, not opinion. Our Emerging Technology Insights Platform fuses machine and human intelligence to help you discover and manage your response to emerging technology startups and markets.
- Amazing culture that emphasizes Hard Work, High Standards, Hunger, Helpfulness, and Humility. Learn more here
- A newsletter that 650k+ people follow: Sign up here.
- Be Healthy: Health with HSA and FSA options, dental, and vision insurance along with unlimited/take what you need sick day policy
- Plan for the future: 401k with up to 4% match
- Continued Learning: $1,000 yearly continuing education stipend
- Rest and Relax: Competitive vacation and holiday plans
- Refuel: In office daily lunch stipend, unlimited snacks/coffee
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you know someone who'd be perfect for the role,
submit here and you'll be eligible for $5,000!
All of the work for this position will be performed in the U.S. As such, in compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.