Group Product Manager, Home Shopping Marketplace at Better
Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
A Better opportunity:
Help us hack a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more people than the status quo to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life. We know that people don’t buy mortgages; they get mortgages to solve some crucial need in their lives: buying a new home, saving money or getting much needed cash on hand. Our purchase journey is a suite of products that make the home purchasing process easier, faster and more delightful for our customers.
As a Group Product Manager on the Home Shopping Marketplace team, you will work to transform the home buying journey for our customers by facilitating connections, optimizing evaluation, and ensuring progress, as well as unlocking financial opportunity & well-being for our customers.
This role presents a unique opportunity to craft the user experience for customers in the process of purchasing their dream home.
Responsibilities will include:
- Making magic out of a complex and antiquated industry through intense focus on simplification
- Building deep institutional knowledge of the mortgage process and the customer journey
- Partnering with and cross functional teams like Design, Engineering, Sales, Operations, etc. to set product vision and strategy
- Bringing your solutions to market through ownership of the full product lifecycle: problem identification, solution design, spec, implementation and validation
- Going deep into both technical huddles with engineers and strategic discussions with executives
- Managing competing priorities with consistency and transparency
- 8-10 years’ of consumer focused Product Management experience at a fast-paced tech company
- 2 years’ of management experience, overseeing teams of Product Managers
- Experience building a product from the ground up. You have the experience to take something big from zero to one
- Analytical, metrics-driven thinker who is deeply empathetic and leads with a user-centered approach
- Proven track record of strong relationship building skills and excellent verbal and written communication
- Structured thinking. You are an organized thinker who can zoom in and between the low-level details of a complex project and the overall picture of how those details fit into the goal. You explain things in a way that others can understand how each discussion fits into that overall picture while making sure that key details aren’t missed
- Get up to speed fast. What you lack in previous knowledge about the Product Management space, you make up for with curiosity and an ability to learn new things quickly. You have a history of entering a new space and building expertise rapidly
- You’re excited about our mission to make homeownership easier and more affordable for all Americans
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.