Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about creating simple experiences in a complex world.
We are looking for a thoughtful user-centered designer to take a leading role designing the core features of our cloud infrastructure products for developers and data scientists. Reporting to the Manager of Product Design,, the Product Designer will join a close-knit, collaborative, and light-hearted team, making sure our customers get the best possible experience from our products and services.
Simplicity and usability are central to the DigitalOcean differentiator. The Product Design team has an impact across the organization, working with engineering and product teams to create experiences that make development much more enjoyable and much less frustrating. As the product grows, the challenge of keeping the platform and experience simple becomes even more crucial. Our team is committed to helping each other grow as designers and be impactful in our design work.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Leading design to help build DigitalOcean into a robust cloud host that is simple, friendly, beautiful, and powerful for application developers.
- Running collaborative sessions to facilitate creativity, problem framing, and alignment of strategic direction.
- Discovering insights through continuous customer, user, and stakeholder engagement.
- Testing your designs with users. Iterating on your designs when they don't work.
- Focusing on a primary product, that is part of a larger product suite.
- Participating in daily design reviews with the Product Design team and providing valuable critique.
- Rapidly prototyping interactions and experiences.
- Collaborate with designers and developers to manage, curate, and expand our design system.
- Hanging out with the your team! :)
What We'll Expect From You:
- You have professional experience designing transactional productivity applications.
- You think in terms of design systems
- You make rational design decisions supported by design theory, research data, business goals, and team principles.
- You have an inherent talent for creating simple, clear solutions.
- You stress the details and care about creating truly delightful experiences.
- Expertise in either interaction or visual design.
- You're up to date regarding the latest web design and technology trends.
- You understand how to work with developers and how to build for them.
- You work well within a team. You're opinionated yet humble and always looking to grow.
- You are a self-starter, who feels responsible for the work assigned to them and knows how to ask for help and guidance when needed.
- You are curious, and like to learn about new things.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.