Peloton is seeking a Product Designer to help define, in detail, “how” features on our engagement products (such as the Peloton web and mobile apps, the Peloton Bike, and the Peloton Tread) function, and how they are are interacted with by our users.
This role is focused on designing UX and information for new features (from an overall product strategy and roadmap) defined by the Product Manager. The Product Designer must think in non-linear terms: capturing interactions, edge-cases, and the various states of these experiences through deliverables such as user flows, product maps, wireframes, storyboards, and prototypes. They should be comfortable with an agile approach to design, with an emphasis on user testing and rapid iteration.
The Product designer also seeks to understand Peloton user behavior and motivation at a fundamental level, through user interviews, ethnographic research, etc., and through the development of journey maps, user personas, and other artifacts.
Outside exceptional and high-velocity UX thinking and execution, success in this role is dependent on being highly self-motivated, super organized, always open to feedback and critique, and extremely collaborative.
The Product Designer works directly with the Product Manager, Visual Designers, engineers, and technical project manager on one of several Peloton Engagement teams and collaborates with the broader Product, UX, and Design team to deliver a consistent Peloton experience across all platforms.
Note: This is not a UI design role. At Peloton, the UI Designer is a separate role responsible for executing the final “pixel perfect” designs and “look and feel” of our interfaces.
Note: Along with your Resume a link to your online portfolio (or to a PDF of your work) is required. Applications without a portfolio are unlikely to be considered.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Cultivate a deep understanding of Peloton’s existing product UX across platforms and ensure any future iterations are executed with reverence for a cohesive experience.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Visual UI designer and Product Manager on your team to fulfill the overall product/feature vision.
- Manage your bandwidth and project pipeline to execute UX design in time with your team’s software roadmap.
- Coordinate, execute, and document user research. Run user interviews, ethnographic studies, and other research methodology to understand personas and user cases around upcoming roadmapped features.
- Collaboratively brainstorm and evolve feature UX with the Product Manager and wider scrum team.
- Create extremely detailed user flows, product maps, wireframes, etc. based on requirements from Product Management, and communicate UX clearly to relevant teams.
- Build out multi-version comps for user testing.
- Prototype user experiences and coordinate and run tests with end users. (Note: This role also is responsible for leading user research and testing.)
- Quickly iterate and offer versions based on design critique from peers or from learnings found in user testing or feature response.
- Capture all states, edge-cases, “unhappy paths” and path logic for visual UI design and engineering teams to build out.
- Evaluate, test, and iterate on current core experiences.
- Work with Product Management, Engineering, and Visual UI Design to ensure executed work matches UX vision.
- 2+ Years of Software User Experience and/or Information Architecture experience at consumer-focused technology company.
- Top tier User Experience, Testing, Research and Information Architecture skills.
- Focused and dedicated to how software products “function” and how users move through the experience to accomplish their goals.
- Strong, proven skill in creating wireframes and other common UX design artifacts. And a deeply collaborative and iterative approach to product UX, focused on ensuring a unified experience across products.
- Obsessive attention to detail and ability to conceptualize multi-state, multi-path interaction systems and to consistently capture edge-cases.
- Exceptional design velocity: especially in developing wireframe and flow variations. And an ability and willingness to quickly produce multiple concepts.
- Excellent communication and organization skills. And can produce clear and descriptive documentation for implementation targeted to a variety of roles and personality types: Experience working closely with engineers, product managers, and visual UI designers.
- Understands interaction design fundamentals and UI design best practices (for collaboration with the UI designer.) Understands what is possible in modern Android, iOS, and web development and of design and interaction patterns and trends within each.
- Has experience conducting and coordinating remote- and in-person user research using a variety of methodologies, and in documenting the results and findings.
- Has experience using prototyping and user testing practices to understand usability of concepts and to learn and iterate on the UX design.
- Familiarity with agile software development and lean UX processes. Bonus if you have experience design UX for native consumer-facing apps, interactive game or content experiences, or large touch screens and/or TV interfaces.
- Exists on the cutting edge of UX design – and pushes our user research, testing, and design infrastructure and practices.
Founded in 2012, Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy and benefits of studio-style workouts to the convenience and comfort of home. We use technology and design to bring our Members immersive content through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, and Peloton Digital, which provide comprehensive, socially-connected fitness offerings anytime, anywhere. We believe in taking risks and challenging the status quo by continuously innovating and improving. Our team is made up of passionate brand ambassadors, and we know that together, we go far.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices, warehouses and retail showrooms in the US, UK and Canada, Peloton is changing the way people get fit. Peloton has been named to many prestigious industry lists, including Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, CNBC's Disruptor 50, Crain's New York Business' Tech25 and Fast50, as well as TIME's Genius Companies. Visit www.onepeloton.com/careers to learn more about joining our team.