Product Manager - Commerce
Discovery, Inc., the new global leader in real life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and the Travel Channel, is searching for a Product Manager, Commerce in New York, NY to join our join our team to build and manage products for our recently launched direct to consumer product, Food Network Kitchen.
As our commerce product manager, you’ll paint the vision for how we can best meet the shopping needs of our customers, capitalizing on our trust and authority to add maximum value for our users. You’ll work backwards from the customer in our newly launched direct to consumer product, Food Network Kitchen. You’ll work with colleagues across product, design, editorial, marketing and business development to connect our audience to the products they love across web, mobile & emerging platforms. You’ll thrive making impactful decisions for brands that customers know and love, based on user data and research. Your passion will be to discover and develop products and features that deliver both meaningful benefit to our users and strategic success for our company.
Day-to-day, you’ll succeed by learning what solutions are simultaneously usable, valuable, and feasible, through product discovery, design thinking & data driven experiments. You’ll connect regularly with customers to become the company expert on our audience and industry. You’ll lead and motivate a dedicated, cross-functional Agile team by communicating your vision, authoring user stories, prioritizing the backlog, and coordinating regularly and clearly with partners and stakeholders.
As the ideal candidate, you’re a driven, passionate advocate for your customers and your business, with a sense of urgency to make things better wherever you are. You’re always handy with a strong point of view, but you’re open-minded and can admit when you’re wrong. Your teams love working with you because you’re a pleasure to be around and lead through inspiration and motivation rather than rules and hierarchies. A good story has made your way more than a good data point, but you’ve always got both at hand.
1. Advocate the product strategy for commerce across the brands in our portfolio
2. Build and maintain flexible products that support a range of commerce campaign types such as affiliate marketing, sponsorships and retailer partnerships
3. Organize a team of designers and engineers to build unique shopping experiences.
4. Identify the specific needs of users and shoppers in the food vertical through user testing, data analysis and tracking of industry-wide commerce trends
5. Collaborate with teams editorial, marketing, business development to build a commerce operation that generates revenue and user value
6. Join forces with product managers across the org to weave shopping into the fiber of all our user-facing lifestyle experiences
* 3+ years experience in digital product management
* Experience in commerce, ideally digital-first
* A solid understanding of the business models that drive digital commerce today, from affiliates to sponsorships and more
* Deep empathy for customers and other humans
* Exceptional communication and storytelling skills
* Top notch organizational and analytical skills
* Strong user experience sensibilities
* Strong experience with analytics and user research to drive decisions
* Strong experience with Agile methodologies
* Ability to speak fluently with business people, partners, engineers
* Experience with product discovery, design thinking, lean product a plus
* Experience as a designer, engineer, data analyst or user researcher a plus
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States