Product Manager, Search & Discovery at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Team:
The RTR product team is data-driven, experimental, iterative, and customer-obsessed. We're energized by defining new behavior in the rental ecosystem and are constantly looking for new ways to delight our customers. We believe in and embody RTR’s core values - including thinking of ourselves as founders, dreaming big, being scrappy but not crappy, fostering debate and honest conversations and bringing our authentic selves to work every day.
About the Role:
As the Product Manager for Search and Discovery, you will be responsible for re-imagining the core RTR experience - defining innovative new ways for millions of women to find, explore and experience fashion. You will operate at the intersection of business, technology, data science and UX to craft experiences that inspire and enable her to look and feel her best everyday. By combining a deep understanding of our target customer with smart machine learning techniques, you’ll build great feedback loops that deliver relevant and constantly improving recommendations and search results.You will develop an inspiring vision and well-thought out product strategy to hit ambitious targets for growing and retaining happy customers. In partnership with our Engineering, UX, Data Science and Revenue teams, you will execute against that strategy and test, learn and iterate to deliver the best outcomes.
What You’ll Do:
- Connect with subject matter experts within Rent the Runway to develop a deep understanding of how our business works today, current customer behavior and pain points, competitors and market trends.
- Develop the long-term vision for Search and Discovery experiences that inspire RTR’s target customer, enabling her to constantly find new, interesting and delightful items to rent. Research best-in-class approaches across other industries and products and set a high bar for what great looks like.
- Lead cross-functional teams through the Product Discovery process to lay out a phased product strategy for executing against the vision. Determine which solutions to explore, figure out how to validate risks and help the team decide what makes sense to build ourselves vs. buy.
- Define testing strategies & learning plans to ensure we’re providing functionality that customers value and can easily use.
- Identify appropriate metrics to measure success and quality.
- Drive execution and ensure the team delivers the desired business outcomes efficiently.
- Communicate plan and progress to key internal partners and executives. Actively listen and respond to feedback.
- Measure launched products and create a tight learning loop that leverages qualitative insights from user research as well as quantitative data to drive continuous improvement.
- Maintain a solid pulse on market trends and conduct ongoing evaluations of comparable product offerings, to constantly identify opportunities for refining the product strategy and improving the customer experience.
- Provide feedback to other Product Managers, contribute to creating a learning culture and a fun, rewarding workplace where people can realize their full potential.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3+ years experience in a Product role at an e-commerce company. Proven experience successfully driving Search and Discovery strategies is a big plus.
- Both a high level strategic thinker and a roll-up-your-sleeves operator.
- Scientific and data-driven, with basic knowledge of SQL, experiment design and using self-service analytics tools (like Google Analytics or Looker) to make decisions.
- Obsessed with truly knowing your customer and empathizing with her pain points, dreams and aspirations.
- Skilled in defining the right metrics to measure how your team is impacting customers and the business.
- Technically savvy - familiar with Machine Learning concepts, Search fundamentals, approaches to personalization and contextualization.
- Capable of breaking down complex problems and holding your own in discussions with engineering and data scientists
- Experienced working in scrum/agile management methodologies
- Highly organized communicator with the ability to drive results and keep teams motivated and accountable.
- Relationship builder who engages well with stakeholders, understands their objectives and constraints and earns their trust.
- Entrepreneurial in spirit with a passion for disruption.
- Inclusive, honest, open and eager to continuously learn. Self-aware and an active listener.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
COVID-19 VACCINE REQUIREMENT:
RTR is requiring all US corporate employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to work in person, unless an employee requires a reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you believe that you may require an accommodation, please apply for any roles that interest you and if hired, you will receive information on how to request a reasonable accommodation after your start date. RTR will evaluate all such requests in accordance with Company policy and applicable law.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.