(US - Remote/ UK - Remote)
Stack Overflow exists to serve developers. Whether we’re helping them get answers to their questions or find a new job, we build products that millions of developers use. As a designer at Stack Overflow, you’ll create and build products that directly impact the work and the lives of those developers.
In this particular role, you’ll be working alongside a team dedicated to the Public Platform. We’re constantly exploring new directions for our products and working towards creating a more enjoyable experience for developers around the world. This is a great opportunity to work on a product with a wide variety of features and complex problems with a team that’s excited to solve them.
And as a member of the product design team, you’ll also spend lots of time working with us, whether that’s contributing to our design system, participating in critique, or just hanging out with us in Slack. We’re a team that rejects competition between designers and instead embraces collaboration and is always looking for ways to teach and help each other.
We’re looking for a generalist - someone who has the skills to do everything from research to early-stage design explorations to high-fidelity prototypes and mockups and front-end development. But most importantly, we’re looking for someone who’s excited to join our small team, to dig into big projects, and to learn and grow with us.Skills & Requirements
What you’ll do:
- Follow our fast-moving product development process in close collaboration with your product team
- Identify when user research and experience design methods are necessary, and conduct or help conduct that discovery work
- Design high-quality visuals, interactions, workflows, and copy that are user-centered and consistent with our design language
- Use your design work appropriately in context with the overall product and business goals to impact and drive product strategy
- Write clean and maintainable html/css
- Contribute to a collaborative and inclusive team environment where design ideas and feedback are shared openly and with the best intentions
What we need to see:
- At least 6 years of product design experience
- Evidence of thoughtful, thorough experience design work
- Evidence of internally consistent and high-quality visual designs
- Evidence of participation in, usage of, or execution of user research
- Experience with or interest in learning basic front-end development (HTML, CSS)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with (or the desire for) working in a distributed environment (where most team members are remote)
- High levels of organization and ability to work independently
- (Desired) experience working on B2C products at scale
- (Bonus) experience with designing for a community based product
- (Bonus) experience with designing for developers or other technical audience
- (Bonus) experience using (and/or contributing to) design systems
- We’re a remote-friendly team and you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication. While we’re generally very flexible on working hours, your working hours will need to overlap with (at least) the hours of 10AM - 1PM US Eastern time.
- We don’t consider applications without cover letters - please make sure to include yours and talk about why you want to work here!
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive Base Salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (12-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening September 6, 2021, and won't require employees to return to the office for the rest of the year), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.#LIRemote #BI-Remote