Senior Product Manager, Bulk I/O (NYC)
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?About the Role
We are looking for a Senior Product Manager to join our team. You will own the roadmap for our Bulk I/O team, which is responsible for fast bulk import/export of data into CockroachDB as well as internal large bulk operations like creating indexes, adding constraints, etc.You Will
- Discover and prioritize the biggest problems developers and operators have moving massive amounts of data into and out of CockroachDB’s self-hosted and cloud products.
- Work with Engineering to come up with cloud-native solutions and use quantitative and qualitative data to iterate on them until they delight our users.
- Drive adoption of Bulk I/O use cases by working with Engineering and other departments to highlight differentiating features.
In your first 30 days, you will go through our CockroachDB training program and spend time getting familiar with the specific developer and industry problems your team is solving. You’ll review your backlog, get up to speed on in-flight features, and learn how to understand feature adoption using anonymized telemetry. You’ll also build relationships with the tech leads and product managers that you’ll be working with day-to-day. You and the Chief Product Officer will have the first of many long-term career planning conversations to understand your goals and how Cockroach Labs can best help you achieve them.
In your first 60 days, you will start to lead the monthly product-market-fit meetings for your areas, which require you to summarize your team’s progress towards our OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) and synthesize what we are hearing from customers and internal stakeholders like Sales Engineering. You will start to vet new feature requests and add them to the backlog.
After 3 months, you will be fully integrated into the team. You'll identify, research, and test solutions to problems. You will analyze product data from alpha releases to determine where to focus our efforts to create the most impact and start to understand how the Bulk I/O user journeys differ between self-hosted and managed CockroachDB deployments. There are countless opportunities for us to invest in and you will be responsible for prioritizing the ones that will exceed our customer’s expectations and generate a competitive advantage for our business over the long term. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using CockroachDB and that requires excellent products built by you and your team.You Have
- Empathy for developers and operators and a passion for solving their problems.
- A computer science degree and/or first-hand experience working with production distributed systems.
- Experience working with engineering to prototype and iterate on features to improve an end-to-end user journey or workflow in the context of a product strategy.
- The ability to write comprehensive user stories that motivate and guide engineering efforts without overconstraining them.
- The ability to communicate the unique value proposition of your product area to support Marketing and Sales teams. You will be expected to periodically produce developer-focused content to drive adoption and awareness of particular features.
- Excellent writing skills; our strategic product meetings are based on docs rather than decks.
- A collaborative nature and are an enthusiastic, amiable, and personable teammate, open to partnering with all other functions in the company.
- 4+ years of PM experience.
Reporting to Nate Stewart, Chief Product Officer
Nate is responsible for the overall product strategy and the activities we take to guide Cockroach Labs to product-market-fit. As a former engineer, Nate has seen how the challenges of working with data in unreliable, distributed environments often distract from building great things. Nate joined Cockroach Labs to help companies avoid that pain once and for all. When he’s not at work Nate can be found spending time with his family, reading a book from his Goodreads queue, or trying to remove the rust from his tennis game.Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support