We are targeting GMT +1 to GMT -8 in the countries identified with core overlapping hours of 10am-1pm Eastern Standard
(United States, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, UK, Ireland, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Poland, Spain, Austria, Slovenia, Czech R, Portugal, Netherlands, Switzerland)
At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we’re helping developers get answers to their questions, work more efficiently with their team, or find a new job, we build products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. As a product manager at Stack Overflow, you’ll create and build inclusive products that directly impact the work and the lives of those developers.
We’re looking for a senior product manager to join our Reach & Relevance team which focuses on driving awareness and engagement between technologists and relevant companies around their products & services. You’ll play a key role in expanding our Reach & Relevance products, including our newest offering: Collectives™ on Stack Overflow.
You’ll have the opportunity to do a lot. Here’s what you can expect during your first year:
- First Month: Get onboarded and brought up to speed on our current plans. You’ll spend a lot of time learning about our products, building rapport with the product, engineering, marketing, sales, customer success, and community teams, and contributing to small features. During this time, you’ll be working closely with our existing Reach & Relevance product teams.
- Next 3 Months: Establish a new product development sub-team within the Reach & Relevance group. Acquire a deep understanding of the biggest opportunities and pain points for our various user segments through past and new user research. This will include expanding our product suite to better address their needs, and improving their overall experience on the platform. You’ll speak with users and customers, collaborate on strategy, write specs, run experiments, and iterate on ideas with your team and stakeholders.
- Next 8 months: You will take a leadership role developing the long-term strategy and roadmap for your product team. You’ll also help improve our processes and advocate for the best way for relevant companies to engage with technologists on Stack Overflow.
What you’ll do:
- Establish and lead a new sub-team within Reach & Relevance
- Collaborate with the product team and key stakeholders to define and execute on the overall strategy for Reach & Relevance
- Define and manage the strategy, product roadmap, backlog, and priorities for your product team
- Partner with product research & design to understand the core issues that our users and customers care about, and to minimize the risk of unintended consequences or harm
- Partner with our engineering team to build and deliver features and improvements
- Work closely with various stakeholders across sales, marketing, and community to align strategy and priorities
- Innovate on our products through workshops, research, and experiments
- Define and monitor metrics to determine the effectiveness of features and initiatives
- Interact with our community of developers and customers around the world to gather ideas and feedback
What we need to see:
- 6+ years in a product management or related role
- Experience working on a B2B product, preferably dealing with a two-sided marketplace balancing opposing needs from users & customers
- Familiarity with Stack Overflow or other community-oriented environments are preferred
- Experience building web or mobile software applications at scale
- Demonstrated experience working hands-on, with a good understanding of the technical, design, and UX implications of your functional requirements
- Excellent spec-writing and communication skills with a clear ability to break down complex problems into smaller, manageable pieces
- We’re a distributed, remote team and you’ll be part of a work culture that emphasizes online & asynchronous communication with minimal meetings and ceremonies
- We’re generally very flexible on working hours, though we do ask everyone on the team to maintain an overlap with (at least) 10AM - 1PM US Eastern time
- We don’t consider applications without cover letters - please make sure to include yours and talk about why you want to work here!
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive Base Salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (12-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free in-network health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for technologists to learn, share their knowledge, collaborate, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers and technologists visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
Our products and tools help developers and technologists in life and at work. These include Stack Overflow for Teams, which focuses on knowledge management and collaboration, and Reach & Relevance, which focuses on developer marketing, community development, and employer branding.
We believe in building inclusive teams where we empower and support people to solve meaningful problems. We have an office in New York (currently closed due to the pandemic) with some of the best amenities and we have people who work remotely all over the world.
Our core values guide our work:
- Keep Community at Our Center: Community is at the heart of everything we do. Nurture healthy communities where everyone is encouraged to learn and give back.
- Adopt a Customer-First Mindset: Authentically serve our customers by empowering, listening and collaborating with our fellow Stackers.
- Be Flexible and Inclusive: We do our best work when a diverse group of people collaborate in an environment of respect and trust. Create space for different voices to be heard, and allow flexibility in how people work.
- Be Transparent: Communicate openly and honestly, both inside and outside the company. Encourage transparency from others by being empathetic, reliable, and acting with integrity.
- Empower People to Deliver Outstanding Results: Give people space to get their job done, support them when they need it, and practice blameless accountability.
- Learn, Share, and Grow: Adopt a Growth Mindset. Be curious and eager to learn. Aim for ethical, sustainable, long-term growth, both personally and in the company
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.