Senior Product Manager, SQL Observability & Queries at Cockroach Labs
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced and entrepreneurial Senior Product Manager to help us define and drive the product roadmap of SQL query performance and introspection in CockroachDB. Location is flexible for this role but you must be US-based.
- Own the end to end user journeys for query optimization and execution performance, query introspection, and query troubleshooting for CockroachDB
- Work with engineering to improve upon the cost-based optimizer and distributed SQL execution engine to obviate the need for query introspection and troubleshooting for most queries
- Work with Engineering, Product Design, and Documentation to implement query troubleshooting in the web console and SQL shell, and use quantitative and qualitative data to iterate on them until they delight our customers
- Drive adoption of our solutions by working with marketing and other departments to highlight differentiated workflows among developers, operators, and architects.
- 5+ years of PM experience.
- Experience working with SQL preferably including both schema and query design
- Experience working with database performance and/or performance-sensitive infrastructure and applications. Experience with distributed systems is a plus but not required.
- Experience working with engineering to prototype and iterate on features to improve an end-to-end user journey or workflow in the context of a product strategy.
- The ability to create and test workloads against CockroachDB as well as extensive familiarity with performance tools used by developers to introspect workloads.
- The ability to write comprehensive user stories that motivate and guide engineering efforts without overconstraining them.
- The ability to communicate the unique value proposition of your product area to support Marketing and Sales teams. You will be expected to periodically produce content to drive adoption and awareness of particular features.
- Excellent writing skills; our strategic product meetings are based on docs rather than decks.
- A collaborative nature and are an enthusiastic, amiable, and personable teammate, open to partnering with all other functions in the company.
- Computer Science Degree and/or experience working with databases.
In your first 30 days, you will go through our CockroachUniversity training program and spend time getting familiar with the specific developer and industry problems your team is solving. You’ll work with the PM lead for your area and review your backlog, get up to speed on in-flight features, and learn how to understand feature adoption using our analytics platform. You’ll also build relationships with the tech leads, other product managers, and members of the broader organization that you’ll be working with day-to-day. You and the SQL lead product manager will have the first of many long-term career planning conversations to understand your goals and how Cockroach Labs can best help you achieve them.
In your first 60 days, you will work with the Product Management lead in your area to drive monthly product-market-fit meetings, which require you to summarize your team’s progress towards our OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) and synthesize what you are hearing from customers and internal stakeholders like Sales Engineering. You will start to vet new feature requests and add them to the backlog.
After 3 months, you will be fully integrated into the team. You'll identify, research, and test solutions to problems. You will analyze product data from alpha releases to determine where to focus our efforts to create the most impact and start to understand how the user journeys in your area differ between self-hosted and cloud CockroachDB deployments. There are countless opportunities for us to invest in, and you will be responsible for prioritizing the ones that will exceed our customers’ expectations while generating a competitive advantage over the long term. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using CockroachDB and that requires excellent products built by you and your team.
Reporting to Andy Woods, SQL Lead Product Manager, CockroachDB
Andy is responsible for the overall roadmap for the SQL product area, which covers the primary developer interface for using CockroachDB. User journeys in this area include connecting to the database, schema design & migration, SQL coverage, query performance (including cost-based optimizer and execution engines), query introspection (why is my query slow?). Additionally, Andy is also responsible for the multi-region experience inside CockroachDB including the SQL abstractions and underlying technology that make CockroachDB a globally distributed database. Andy joined Cockroach Labs in 2017 to help build our core database offering. When not at work, Andy enjoys a good book, movies, Crossfit workouts, and his new puppy that keeps him on his toes.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]