Senior Technical Product Manager (PM-T) at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
Senior Technical Product Manager (PM-T)
New York, NY, US, 10012
Date: Jul 2, 2021
Req ID: 3893
Discovery, Inc. is a global leader in real life entertainment, serving a passionate audience of super-fans around the world with content that inspires, informs and entertains. Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year and has category leadership across deeply loved content genres around the world. Available in 230 countries and territories and 50 languages, Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year and has category leadership across deeply loved content genres around the world, reaching over 3 Billion viewers on all screens including TV, Digital and Mobile.
Discovery is a platform innovator evolving to become a direct-to-consumer leader to reaching viewers across all screens through TV Everywhere products such as the GO portfolio of apps and Discovery Kids Play; direct-to-consumer streaming services such as Eurosport Player and Motor Trend OnDemand; and digital-first and social content from Spoon University and Genius Kitchen as well as Group Nine Media, which is home to brands including The Dodo, NowThis, Thrillist and Seeker. Discovery’s portfolio of premium brands includes Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Travel Channel, Turbo/Velocity, Animal Planet, and Science Channel, as well as OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network in the U.S., Discovery Kids in Latin America, and Eurosport, the leading provider of locally relevant, premium sports and Home of the Olympic Games across Europe.
Discovery also has a strong portfolio of free-to-air channels across Europe making it a leading broadcaster in several countries, including Norway, Sweden, Italy, Poland, Germany and the UK. As a purpose-driven company, we are dedicated to not only entertaining but inspiring. For 30 years we have told stories that entertain, inspire and enlighten our viewers around the world, about the world. But our work doesn’t stop there. We are committed to making the world a better place by leveraging our market-leading global platform, and by extending the reach and influence of like-minded organizations and causes. We also are dedicated to employee volunteerism across the globe.
Discovery Networks International is the World’s #1 non-fiction media company reaching more than 1.5 billion cumulative subscribers in 210 countries and territories. Discovery is dedicated to satisfying curiosity through 130-plus worldwide television networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet and Eurosport, the leading pan regional sports entertainment destination across Europe and Asia-Pacific.
We are looking for an experienced technical product manager to partner with engineering to build product strategies, prioritized roadmaps, and clear product specifications for our global cloud platform on which a majority of the various Discovery+ streaming content runs. Product management is a new team in our global platform services organization and we’re on a mission to raise the level of product thinking and ownership across the entire organization. If you’re looking for a deeply technical and highly dynamic opportunity that will have an outsized impact on the future of product development and software engineering at Discovery, we’d love to talk to you!
What You Will Do
● Develop product roadmaps and specifications across cloud infrastructure offerings that inform engineering teams on objectives, scenario prioritization, and customer requirements,
● Define longer-term product direction across cloud infrastructure that influences Platform-wide strategy
● Partner with our customers (other internal Discovery+ engineering teams), to better understand their problems and work together to deliver needed solutions ● Partner with other product managers to create cohesive strategies and roadmaps across organizational boundaries
● Foster an environment that is customer-obsessed, data driven, and hypothesis / experimentation based
● Engage deeply with various communities and strategic organizations to stay abreast of industry trends and innovations
● Help evolve the product management discipline and practices within Discovery+ engineering
What We Are Looking For
● Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience
● 9+ years progressive experience in technical product management and working with high performing engineering teams
● A combination of deep technical knowledge and customer-focused mindset
● Demonstrated understanding of cloud infrastructure technologies at scale, with deep expertise in one of compute, storage, or networking
● Experience designing large scale production services for internal or external customers in public or private cloud
● Strategic thinker that can relate technology solutions to customer use cases
● Comfortable handling and navigating ambiguity, working across different disciplines and teams, and applying a combination of qualitative and quantitative methods to problem solve without perfect metrics
● Good balance of IQ & EQ to be able to solve both technical and social challenges
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills