Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
Discovery's Digital group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery, Inc. We are fast, nimble, and have fun developing new, innovative, and immersive digital products and content for iconic brands. We are working at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and everyday utility. As content creators across the digital ecosystem, we continuously leverage our technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences. We tell engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day and bring new interactive experiences to life to not only entertain but improve the lives of our customers. Most recently, our group is behind the launch of discovery+, Discovery’s global streaming service, serving as the definitive destination for real life entertainment with the largest ever content offering at launch, debuting in the U.S. on January 4, 2021.
About the Role
As Sr. Product Manager for Discovery Digital Media, you’ll help shape the strategy, and drive the execution and successful delivery of our top-rated TV Everywhere apps across Discovery’s US TV brands (such as Discovery, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, Science, and Travel Channel, among others). You’ll thrive in making impactful decisions for brands that customers know and love, based on user data and research. Your passion will be to discover, develop and ship products and features that deliver both meaningful benefit to our users and strategic success for our company.
Day-to-day, you’ll succeed by learning what’s worth doing that is simultaneously usable, valuable, and feasible, through utilizing product discovery and design thinking. You’ll connect regularly with customers to become expert on our audience and industry. You’ll lead and motivate a dedicated, cross-functional Agile team by communicating vision, authoring user stories, prioritizing the backlog, and coordinating regularly and clearly with partners and stakeholders.
As the ideal candidate, you’re a driven, passionate advocate for your customers and your business, with a sense of urgency to make things better wherever you are. You’re always handy with a strong point of view, but you’re open-minded and can admit when you’re wrong. Your teams love working with you because you’re a pleasure to be around and lead through inspiration and motivation rather than rules and hierarchies. A good story has made your way more than a good data point, but you’ve always got both at hand.
If this sounds like you, and you’re excited to work with great people and the global leader in real life entertainment, we’d love to meet up!
1. Develop deep understanding of the customer, data, business, and industry
2. Set, articulate, and advocate product vision and strategy
3. Define and build consensus on meaningful metrics for success
4. Prioritize features and enhancements in story backlog
5. Build and maintain product plans to create value for users and grow the business
6. Author use cases and user stories and build shared understanding
7. Discover opportunities worth pursuing through rapid experimentation via product discovery, A/B testing, and design thinking methods
8. Identify and map customer goals, values and needs more than “wants” or “table stakes”
9. Inform decisions with qualitative and quantitative data
10. Ensure good communication and transparency by partnering with internal teams including editorial, marketing, advertising, business development, etc
11. Coordinate with product peers and their teams to share learnings and ensure quality cross-platform experience
* 2-3 years product management experience
* TVE/DTC/Connected TV/Mobile/native app industry and domain experience
* Deep empathy for customers and other humans
* Exceptional written and spoken communication skills
* Exceptional storytelling skills
* Exceptional organizational and analytical skills
* Strong user experience sensibilities
* Strong experience with analytics, user research to drive decisions
* Strong experience with Agile methodologies
* Ability to speak fluently with business people, partners, engineers
* Experience with Product Discovery, Design Thinking, Lean Product a plus
* Experience as a designer, developer, data analyst or user researcher a plus
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.